fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
My Crank blew in my newly bought bike on august 24th, I have been real slow geting it back together. I had left over gas (91 octane mixed with yamalube) and it's been sitting in my barn since then and it's just started getting cold (+4C) two weeks ago. So i don't want to put crappy gas in my brand new engine but jsut wondering if this gas will be too old to use? Thanks.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Year old gas isn't going to hurt anything. I wouldn't use it for racing as it will have lost a bit of its performance but it should be just fine for breaking in a new rebuild.

Rod

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I wouldn't use year old gas except in my lawn mower or to burn a brush pile.

Jun 28, 2006
fatboyslim said:
My Crank blew in my newly bought bike on august 24th, I have been real slow geting it back together. I had left over gas (91 octane mixed with yamalube) and it's been sitting in my barn since then and it's just started getting cold (+4C) two weeks ago. So i don't want to put crappy gas in my brand new engine but jsut wondering if this gas will be too old to use? Thanks.

Do you have ethanol fuel in your area? Ethanol attracts and absorbs moisture.And phase separation takes place. The ethanol will mix with moisture/water and the two separate from the fuel and settle to the bottom. Todays fuel decays quickly. It going to lose octane ratings as it sits. I would buy fresh fuel and ride.

fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
Ya I think i'm not going to be a cheap ass get some good gas since it's a brand new engine i'm running this gas with. Thanks for the advice.

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
Several years ago I had issues with the performance on one of my race cars. After most of a season changing carbs, jetting and such, we discovered the pre-mix fuel was going bad in as little as 2 weeks between races. After that, we would drain the fuel into the tow vehicle, and used fresh mix every weekend. No more problems.

Straight gas doesn't seem to go bad as quick as pre-mix.

Rotor

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
ha ha i thought you meant u were getting too old and getting gas while riding or something :rotfl: whew!

Top Bottom