SUnruh

Aug 24, 1999
what is the criteria for determining if a bike is old enough to be vintage or raced in a vintage class?

------------------
Steve Unruh - V29 TCHSS
98yz250

SUnruh

Aug 24, 1999
does that mean that my 1981 YZ 125 (first year MX's were watercooled) is or is not a valid vintage racer?

------------------
Steve Unruh - V29 TCHSS
98yz250

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
AHRMA has a specific set of rules that are pretty much, pre-linkage, pre-water cooled and things like that which keeps the bikes fairly old, but recently the Vintage Iron guys have started running races that allow slightly newer bikes to run. I believe the idea is too allow less expensive bikes like Steve's to be run so guys don't have to trash their 441 Victor's. AHRMA and Vintage Iron both have website that can fill in the obvious blanks.

Some tracks have vintage classes based on a specific time period, so anything older than say 10 years is eligible. Lots of options out there to keep that old scoot racing .

------------------
Rich Rohrich
Applied Fluid Dynamics
rrohrich@interaccess.com
www.eric-gorr.com

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
I forget the exact class names, but one is no fwd shocks, travel limited to 5 inches I believe, etc. Then there is the "transition" class, where the longer travel, high pipe, twin shock, drum brake, air cooled bikes race. This second group would be a blast; easier to get parts, fast, reliable, less likely to make you cry when you dump it. Unless you're vertically challenged like Rich, that is!!! Who ever heard of lowering a modern bike? Couldn't you just have sprung for some custom Platform MX boots? Or have one of your MX groupies follow you around with a block of wood to stand on?

O.T.

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 1999
hi guys o.t. here. here in northern ill. district 17 vintage motocross is for bikes 5 years and older meaning you could race a 94 kx250 or the like in vintage class. here at the o.t. nationals vintage means vintage. when rich gets his hodaka ready to go i,ll bre forced into the barn to fine tune my 77 husky 390,74 tm125,79yz 125,and my 78 rm125 and we will run a true vintage classic here, okie and rich will probably fight over the 390 husky. me i,ll take the 74 tm125 and hopefully put the boots on all of them. we will have to get some pics of me doin the doubles on the tm.(sorry not gonna do a no handed landing on the tm but i,ll whip some horizontals though. cant wait i,ll have to run to the barn now and start spinning some wrenches...............ot.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Tex you haven't lived till you've ridden a modern bike with 8 inches of travel and valving to match. What it gives up on the triple jumps it more than makes up for in the corners. Feet up full lock turns in the hardpack are the order of the day, and when it's tacky I own the inside line. I gues I like turning more than jumping.

I really did it to race AHRMA Sound of Singles road races and SuperTT if it ever makes it to the Midwest. I just got kinda sidetracked at the OT National MX Ranch and developed a taste for SX, and jumping thanks to OT.

------------------
Rich Rohrich
Applied Fluid Dynamics
rrohrich@interaccess.com
www.eric-gorr.com

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Funny you should say that, Rich. I traded emails with Steve Canet yesterday on SuperTT. I've also got an itch for a 2 stroke road bike right now, and if the right old open bike fell into my lap it may end up with lights and a plate on it - lowered too, of course. Some of those early Yam 400 articles got to me also; such a versatile package with the right wheels and tires. I came oh so close to doing one of these projects a few months ago, get down to one bike for the woods, dual sport, and street, but after a hard look at the numbers and many miles of local sand whoops I opted to add a KDX200 to the lineup and keep the KTM 400 for DS and adventure rides. If you are into the AHRMA up that way you may have met a good friend of mine from Indpls, Brian Borshoff. He's a Yamaha man but campaigns occasionally a Rokon and a CZ. He just sold his original YZ250, a '74 I think, totally radical motor. His fav is the MX 360. He also got the two stroke street bug and two Aprillias landed in his garage in two months. He was trying to talk me into a CR80-powered MB5 too. Nice street bike, huh?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
We used to have an MB5 as a shop/pit bike when I worked for Eric Gorr, and I loved it. It was really fun to flat track through the pits at road races
smile.gif
Highsided me more than a few times. My buddy had a Kawasaki AR80 (ported of course) as his pit bike and it was wild, so a hot rodded MB5 sounds like a real trip.

Top Bottom