wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
I realize that living in the dark ages like I have for many years is due to the lack of concern for what is on TV. Course with an antenna, (thats right that "thingie" that is on top of the roof) we got like 2 channels abc, and pax, with an assortment of snowy stuff on other channels. we watched like 3 or four shows a week, the rest of the time is on the computer or doing other stuff.

enter in now

we today got direct tv, holy cow, gncc raceing, paris to dakar, all in one night.

course now there are still 130 other channels to watch?

so where is the time?

wardy

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Welcome to the 90's. :)

Good choice on the DirecTV. It's still the best deal out there - at least until Rupert Murdoch ruins it.

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
Once you've gotten a peek at the programming on those 130 channels, the "Dark Ages" are gonna seem like the good old days, unless of course you get the "Science and Tech" channels.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
TV..... this generation's opiate for the masses.

Make sure you don't watch the noodie channels. That's stuff will make ya go blind! :eek:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Of those 130, there are about 10 good ones...

Carp824

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2002
Our family has had cable and satellite. We made the decision about two years ago to take it out and just have basic tv. We now get five channels and we watch very little of those.

It was one of the best decisions we have made. My kids play outside more and we as a family spend more time together. We use the money we paid on the cable and use it for doing things as a family.

I had a teacher in high school who called the tv the "Stupid Box" I think he was right.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Yep finding that out quite a bit, history stuff and tech stuff is cool. "stupid box " could apply to a couple of electronic deals around here! LOL

wardy

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

You'll soon find that out of those 200 or so channels there are only about 10 good channels to watch as the others said. And when you find something that you do really want to get you will find that you don't get that channel. If you decide that you want to get that channel, it is then that you find out that you have to pay an extra $29.95 per month because if you want that channel you have to buy a whole other package. We get very few of the good channels, and I can't convince my parents to switch packages....oh well....lol.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
True, but here my "Total Choice" package is 39.95 and SMOKES the listing from cable for the same $$. Cable actually wants to charge more for their "digital" package which only a few channels are actually digital, for more money ($49). Cable blows.

That being said, the best I get is High Def over a simple 29.00 uhf antenna from the local networks. Dayum, Hi-Def is good.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
anyone say Tivo !!! - Ward, you are in trouble now :)

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
but their is a flip side to this whole thing. I have basic cable, ok, big deal. i watch MAYBE three hours a week. why? well, I thought if I had a big screen, I might sit around and at least watch movies with the family. WRONG! Now my wife watches that D$!M HGTV, or LIFETIME. in life size.
So now I get to spend more time wit you guys!
just a thought, define "stupid box" or idiot box is it the PS2 our kids are using? or maybe the 1 or 2 or some cases, the three pc.s in the house? or maybe the handheld gameboy our kids might be playing. IMO, i think it is anything that holds out attention for a long period of time from what we should REALLY be doing. interacting as a family.
i'll step down now from the mic.................................

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Wardy: I just hooked up a TV here at home last week after 7~8 years without a set. Still no cable or satellite. Three snowy "English" channels and 5~6 clear "Spanish" channels. Go figure ?!?!?!?!

I wonder why I did it. I spend enough time on the road to know what is available, and now it is trying to pull me in .... :laugh:

It would be nice to have Speed, Fox News, The Weather Channel and Discovery though.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
57 channels and nothing on ;)

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
and ya gotta pay for those you don't want to boot!! I'll stick with mt padded play room, at least i can find something there to do!

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
On the surface, the time we spend at the computer appears to be "idiot time", but actually the computer is interactive (the tv isn't), and it's tough not to come away from each session on here without learning at least something about bikes, people, etc.

Top Bottom