crwiseman

Jan 22, 2008
Got a used bike with no documentation. Bought it from a bigger/heavier guy (I weigh abought 190). I backed off the rear shock preload but how do I soften it up front and rear so it doesn't try and buck me off in the mildest of small whoopdy/bumpy situations? Feels like I'm driving a F350 on the freeway with nothing in the back.

How far can I turn the front's H-S screw slot? More or less than 360 degrees? Is there any other front adjustment other than the H-S slot? How do I soften up the rear suspension?

Any one got an owners' manual to sell for a '97?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
He means, have you measured the sag? Do you know how to measure sag? or are you just going at the spring with no real idea of what you are doing?

crwiseman

Jan 22, 2008
Hey Indy an informative answer would be appreciated here. And yes, not knowing any better, I was just winging it. Does any one know what weight range a '97 CR500's stock shock can handlle via preload adjustments?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Measure from the rear axle nut to the seat bolts, with the rear wheel off the ground. Now with all your gear on, sitting in a normal position, take that measurement and subtract it from the other. Tighten or loosen the shock spring to achieve 4 inches. If you can not then it will tell you which weight spring you need. Simple!

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
It's more a function of having the right springs installed for your weight. If you bought it from a heavier rider, he may have had the springs replaced with heavier than stock springs.
If you find you can't get the right sag number, and plan to start looking for stock springs shoot me a PM. I think I still have a set of stock springs for a 98 CR500 setting around somewhere in my garage. I'll make you a good deal.

crwiseman

Jan 22, 2008
Perhaps my feathers are too easily ruffled then. Honestly, first time in my 36 years riding that I ever heard about this sag test.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Come on, you never read a manual. Every one I have had tells you. If you are mad now, wait till you find out how much better your bike handles, meaning you will be faster!

Beuford

Feb 23, 2008
Better do a search on setting sag.
you only have a small "safe" range to adjust your spring lenght,"spec in owners manual".
After setting race sag you still need to be in the correct free sag or static range, i get these two mixed up., and this tells you if your spring is right for your weight.
cliff

crwiseman

Jan 22, 2008
Seriously Whenfoxforks, no, I have never had a dirt bike manual. My last dirt bike was a 1980 Maico 504, bought used, no manual, dual shocks anyhoo. My '71 Hodaka Ace 100b, same thing, doesn't really count as a dirt bike really. Back into dirt riding, bought a perfect condition perfectly preserved '97 CR500 from a used car dealer who took it in on a trade, no manual. So I really didn't know. All my other bikes are street bikes. Any one know where I could get a manual besides ebay?

crwiseman

Jan 22, 2008
I forgot, before the Maico, I briefly had a few hours old 1983? CR480, but I got rid of it quickly because it was so far off the ground. Again, no manual, maybe if I only knew to set my SAG! How ironic. If you like those three, you probably don't want to know what the other seven are.

crwiseman

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks, but it still asks for:

Server:

Size:
Full-screen 640 by 480 800 by 600 1024 by 768 1280 by 1024 1600 by 1200
Send logon information for this connection

User name:

Domain: ???????

crwiseman

Jan 22, 2008
OK Biker Boyz: I did the sag test today, results:

Beginning measurement, wheel hanging free 25.25"
On side stand only: 22.25"
Me sitting on it with all my gear: 20.25"

So from start to finish, I figure that's 5" of sag. So what do you guys interpret from this data? Why does this darn thing ride like a unloaded F350? I weigh 190 pounds.

Top Bottom