How to build a small backyard mx track?

Nov 17, 2006
I'm not sure this belongs in this forum, but does anyone know if there's a book or online guide to building a safe backyard mx track? It's only 2.5 acres, but it's all I've got. I found a book for building an ATV park, but obviously my property is too small for a whole park.

Questions I have are: how far to space whoops and doubles (no triples just yet). What kind of incline for a tabletop? Things like that. I suppose I can find out by trial and error, but I'd rather do it right the first time.

I've only ridden trails so far and wiould like to get some mx time in my backyard before getting in everyone's way at the track.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Do you have a D5 or similar dozer? Do you have the 100 to 200 cubic yards of soil that will be required to make jumps and berms? Is your land open or wooded? Are there any land-use or deed restrictions that will prevent you from enjoying your track once it is complete? Do your neighbors like you?

2.5 acres of open land is plenty of space. Of course if there is a house on that 2.5, that leaves you with about 1.5 acres.

Nov 17, 2006
No, no dozer but I'm willing to rent a small TerraMite or Bobcat. Yes, the soil is available and in my neighbors yard, but I have no idea how many cu. yds is there. It's a big pile tho. The prop is lightly wooded, mostly flat and rectangular (as opposed to square). No deed restrictions as long as it's for personal use and I don't charge people to use it. All my neighbors have mostly ATV's & some dirtbikes.

The property backs up to a utility ROW and then to an old quarry so no houses back there. My house is up front and takes up about 1/2 acre.

Those were great questions!

Last edited:

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
I built a track in my backyard to keep from looking like a fool out in the real world. Used 40 yds, clay/sand mix and at least another 30 yds. soil scraped from one side of my "yard" and a borrowed uniloader. Had the greatest time building it and hope to add more variety next year. Look up "dirt wurks" or mx track building online. Build your whoops 8 ft. apart. Use a 3:1 pitch or slope on your take-off ramp for jumps.Read all you can,visit other tracks,talk to people and ride what you build.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
If you rent a bobcat, make sure you get one with tracks.

I used one this summer to work on our local pitbike track, and it didn't have tracks. Was a real pain trying to pack the jumps. It took about twice as long as it should have.

I would suggest though, that you get something a bit bigger than a bobcat. They just don't move dirt fast enough for my taste..

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
When I made my track I did the following:

- You first priority should be to keep it safe. No silly jumps, no blind curves, an entry and exit point, no dangerous obstacles (trees, rocks..) that someone can hit if/when they exit the lanes.

- I layed it out on paper first - that saved sooooo much work. I then took a day to do lay out on the land.

- All take-off and landing zones are 30 degrees.

- I built it with 20' to 25' wide lanes - over the years that has turned into 12 to 15' wide lanes with grass between.

- For safety (because friends will ride there) no gapped jumps. Every jump is a table top.

- I kept my jumps close to turns. By doing so I know that no one will hit them too fast and that those that really want to catch air had to work for it. All of my friends questioned that move until they realized that they improved their corner speed.

A track is a lot of maintenance. During the summer I'm sure I spend an hour a week working on it (mowing, grading, killing weeds, collecting stones, trimming trees). Now 4 years old, I've also grown tired of my track - so it's time to layout a new one. There goes another $1,000 for a dozer.

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
IndyYZ85 said:
I would suggest though, that you get something a bit bigger than a bobcat. They just don't move dirt fast enough for my taste..

I agree. He'll need to deliver the bobcat on a trailer anyway, since you can't tow the track style ones. So why not spend a little more and get a dozer?

wirefryer#85

May 26, 2006
Try and get an overhead satellite photo to do a layout map, if I recall correctly you can get them free from googleearth.com, but I may not have the name right.

If you stick with a skid steer instead of a dozer, rent a Case 90XT with tracks and ride control with the biggest bucket they got. This model was designed with digging big holes in mind as opposed to accomodating the 100 plus attatchments available for skid steers. (Gotta help keep the home fires burning! :) )

Don't forget to factor in drainiage and watering in your layout.

Have fun!

Nov 17, 2006
A track is a lot of maintenance. During the summer I'm sure I spend an hour a week working on it (mowing, grading, killing weeds, collecting stones, trimming trees). Now 4 years old, I've also grown tired of my track - so it's time to layout a new one. There goes another $1,000 for a dozer.
I didn't want to quote your whole post, but your track sounds awesome! One question - how much property did you have to work with? I looked at my survey and I have an area about 130' x 650' (+-) to work with comfortably.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The main part of my track sits on an area that is about 370 x 250, with two appendages that are 50 x 500(ish). In all I guess that my track is on 3 acres. It is 0.7 in length with 15 turns, of which all are burmed. I attached the sketch I did 4 years ago.

130 x 650 is plenty of space.

Attachments

• Track.JPG
    Track.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 15,930

chase 3c

Jun 18, 2007
very nice

CaptainObvious said:
The main part of my track sits on an area that is about 370 x 250, with two appendages that are 50 x 500(ish). In all I guess that my track is on 3 acres. It is 0.7 in length with 15 turns, of which all are burmed. I attached the sketch I did 4 years ago.

hey man about how much did that cost u??

BBking25

Nov 28, 2006
good luck and either get your neighbors riding that (for no complaining) or get a nice big O.K.

my family (grandparents on down) use the farm for our family for hunting, fishing, and dirtbiking... they don't got very often and the one time we go the neighbors who live right next to it (and can go whenever they want, they don't live by it) start riding around us on the mx track the guy had built...

now granted we hadn't built it but he put it on our property and we werent messing anything up at all... the guy was a complete a s s on his atv and couldn't just stay at his house the one day we wanted to ride

minirider03

Jul 15, 2007
I have never raced or ridden on a mx track before and I'd like to build a small practice track in my yard. I have a front yard that is about 200 by 50 feet. I want a berm on each end, with 2, 200 foot straight aways, And I was wondering what I should put on the straight aways to help me become a better rider. I need to know if I put jumps and whoops in how high and far apart should they be?

exmotox

Jul 29, 2007
backyard track

Hello all Just finished a small atv track on a acre of land only about 1/8 of a mile but its for my 10 yr old daughter and i live in the city. the darker green is the track just grass (torn up grass lol) brown areas are jumps and whoops blueish is a 10x20' water hole i have a hose running under ground to it so i can keep it nice and muddy. daughter has a 50 & a 110 atv so she can have her friends ride with her. oops new here guess I cant post a drawing of the track its 100' wide 220' long 10' wide track.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
minirider03 said:
I need to know if I put jumps and whoops in how high and far apart should they be?
Small and sloped (not steep). As you riding progresses, make them larger, farther apart, and steeper. When you do build up the jumps, consider drainage. Don't dig out the dirt just before a jump to build the jump...water will collect and you'll have a hole in front of the jump.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007

Attached Images

any chance you have any pictures of the actual track?

Race_Bennett

Jul 23, 2007
IndyYZ85 said:
If you rent a bobcat, make sure you get one with tracks.

I used one this summer to work on our local pitbike track, and it didn't have tracks. Was a real pain trying to pack the jumps. It took about twice as long as it should have.

Ive tried that before took like 3 hours to make a small jump packed with a shovel (to slippery). Deffinetly get a dozer.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
if bringing dirt in by the truck load - have them dump in a line where you want your jump. this will give you a ready made base that you will only have to smooth out. if you want it higher than a single load can do - well then you will need a front loader of some type. i use my kubota tractor and keep it off my jumps as they do not have to be packed down that much for a bike to go over. i find that if i can walk on it without sinking, then the bike can run on it too. note that the bike can tear it up more if not compacted though - so i compact the jump faces (i only do tables) and not the table top. perhaps a tracked loader would not compact as much as my tractor (~4000-lbs)

Top Bottom