How to carry speed thru up hill deep sand section

2fittyjeff

Feb 16, 2006
My local track has this nasty up hill deep sand section, just after a tight left turn, and I can't seem to carry enough speed out of the turn to stay on top of the sand, any help would be most appreciated.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
went to Baja ayy? :)

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Sounds like Baja to me!

When I used to ride there (I just moved from Michigan in January) I would always try and pick a fairly straight rut up the hill, which usually seemed to be the left side of the track. Then I'd just get as far back on the seat as I could, grip with my knees, let the bike float around under me, and keep it pinned. Getting in a good line is pretty important, or else you'll be weaving all over the place and losing lots of speed. My bike is only maybe 35 hp, but I could often pass 250's and 450's (in the C-class of course) up the hill. While those guys were swerving around I'd be getting a good foward drive. Although more often the bigger bikes were passing me on the straights and hills.

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
go into the turn in a gear where you can pull all the way through the turn and go as wide as you can to get alot of speed, then just motor up the hill....lean back for traction, then just pin and shift, pin and shift.

Top Bottom