EdLennon

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2000
Hi all,

I'm looking for tips on cleaning your dirty airbox after riding and washing your bike.

I clean all of our air filters and do my best to wipe the inside out of the airbox without getting anything into the airboot. I even check it with a flashlight just to be sure that nothing fell down in there or there is any dust, etc. I'm real meticulous about making sure it's super clean in there, but was looking for any tips to make the job easier.

It seems that the best way would be to take the airbox off and clean it out after each ride, but I have 5 bikes to do every week and that is very time consuming.

Look forward to any ideas you guys have to offer.

Thanks, Ed

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Remove the sub frame and airbox complete. It may even save time and worry. When the silicone seal breaks loose in the airbox to boot seal, its time to reseal. Or go for the pro seal, x's 5, ouch!

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I really liked the notoil products. The cleanest air filters and boxes, and no issues. As long as I have plenty on hand. That is the only thing I do not like about it. It really does not like other oils and cleaners!

EdLennon

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2000
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

The thing that seems to be the most tricky is getting the dirty air filter out without dropping any crud off of it down into the airboot. I remember the days when we had the old side cover airboxes ('78 YZ125 and mid '80's KX's) and those were GREAT!!! I wish the manufacturers would be required to clean a dirty air filter after a ride, they would put those side cover airboxes back on immediately once they figure out that they can't get a dirty air filter out without having to turn it sideways and having all the crud fall off into the airboot.

I do have the proseals on 3 of the 5 bikes, and I have the other two lying around yet to be installed, so it's not a grease on the lip thing.

I am running a K&N filter on my bike and it's great. It works well, is easy to clean, but just like any other filter, it's impossible to get out without turning it sideways and when you do that, there always seems to be some crud that wants to fall off. I try to keep that to a minimum, but it's nearly impossible to do. I've read a lot of posts on here about how crappy K&N filters are, but after reading about them in MXA, I decided to give it a try and after using it for over a year, I'd have to say that I'm pleased. I don't see any dust in the airboot or anything (like I have heard happens). It seems to improve throttle response and cleaning it is easy (kind of like using the No-Toil products -- spray on the cleaner, let it sit for 10 minutes, rinse with hot water, let it dry and then oil it). Like I said earlier, I am anal and clean it every ride, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I have tried the No-Toil products and for the most part I liked them. I swore by them for quite some time...BUT...If we don't ride for like 2 weeks or more, the filters seem to get stuck to the airbox and tend to rip. The longer the bikes sit the worse this problem seems to get. I've contacted No-Toil about this and they will send a new filter if it rips. Their suggestion is to mix up some cleaner solution in a spray bottle and coat the inside of the airbox and around the filter with this solution and let it sit to help make the filter removal easier. I have had a number of filters do this on all different types of bikes (atv's, minis and big bikes) when using this product, so I went back to the old method of using gas to remove the major crud and hot soapy water to finish up.

I haven't tried the airbox covers, but by the time I get the filters out, that seems to have been the time where the most potential for crud falling into the airbox exists. I do think the covers would help when wiping the airbox out in that it would keep anything from falling down into the airboot.

I guess the best way (for someone anal like myself) to ensure that you don't get ANYTHING in the airboot is just to remove the airboxes from the bike and clean them out off of the bike. Seems like a lot of work, but it's probably worth the effort.

Thanks,
Ed

Top Bottom