c3hammer

May 20, 2000
After a 6 year lay off I came back here to DRN and sure enough even my log in still works! LOL!

Just got my youngest little one into riding today on his 9th birthday. I pulled out my old 94 YZ250, put in some new gas, layed it over for a few seconds to let the carb drip a little, rocked her back and forth about 20 times and boom, it started up on the second kick after being untouched for 4 years!

"I hate two strokes" was the first thing that came to mind as a cloud of blue smoke filled my neighborhood :)

I think it's time to look into buying a new thumper, but with a kid in college, a new kitchen project, house painting and general home maintenance I never do, it seems an impossible task to even ask.

Any suggestions as to how to bring this up with the better half would be appreciated :bang:

Cheers,
Pete

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Just do what we do- sneak it into the garage unseen and then slowly leave it out where it can just be glimpsed by the wife occasionally. After a couple months it just belongs there and she never sems to notice it was new. Or at least she is nice enough not to comment on how beat up it is for a new bike

crazycarl7

Oct 14, 2007
I had the same problem!! So what I did was to go and buy her a four wheeler. Granted, I know that wasnt on the top of her list of things she needed but It was the thought that counted. Dont buy something Brand new of course, just something that will run. When she doesnt want it any more she will want you to sell it, but you still have your bike. "tell her you wanted to spend more time with the family and include he on the ride". But we both know you just wanted the bike. lol

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I bought a big rock and had it mounted in a custom setting as a anniversary present, it still hasn't turned in to a CR500AF. :(

Jan 3, 2007
What you do is this. You sell off the YZ and the day of it being sold you pick up the new bike and put it back where the old one was and she will never notice. It worked with my mother when i brought back my 465. It also happended when my dad bought a new quad.

ryankdx12

Jul 12, 2007
Forget all the trickery.

I think the obvious argument is that blue smoke is bad for the child's lungs. It wouldn't be fair to him for you to create all those noxious gases. There is no price too high when it comes to protecting a child's health. You want him to have nice pink lungs and set a stellar environmental example for him. Plus be a quality dad with a lifelong bond.

It's all about good parenting.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
njkx said:
forgiveness is much easier to obtain than permission!!!

words to live by my friend.
Not in my house, permission can be gruelling, but forgiveness may never come. I still await the resurrection on a few of my sins.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Tell her you need something newer and reliable to go riding with your son. Then walk her out to the garage and show her your new bike. Tell her its an investment for the family!

May 10, 2007
elcamino12sec said:
Tell her you need something newer and reliable to go riding with your son. Then walk her out to the garage and show her your new bike. Tell her its an investment for the family!

better yet you need something reliable so you dont break down w/ your son leaving him stranded. then go out riding w/ him and come walking back pushing the bike saying that it broke down. HOW CONVIEVENT
I think the obvious argument is that blue smoke is bad for the child's lungs. It wouldn't be fair to him for you to create all those noxious gases. There is no price too high when it comes to protecting a child's health. You want him to have nice pink lungs and set a stellar environmental example for him. Plus be a quality dad with a lifelong bond.

thats good too.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
finish the kitchen early throw in a few extra niceties then inquire about the new bike. if your paying someone to to do kitchen see what you guys can do your self freeing up some $$$ for new bike also

c3hammer

May 20, 2000
Thanks for the the replies. I think I'll just suffer through rebuilding the two smoke for now :)

I just need to work a little harder and make enough to afford all of it. She won't complain about that one bit.

Cheers,
Pete

Jan 31, 2005
My buddy was always hinting to his wife about wanting to buy a new bike. She couldn't figure why a man needed four dirtbikes. Finally one day she comes in and says she saw an orange dirtbike for sale. He new it was ok to buy one when she was willing to stop and ask the price of the orange dirtbike.

ryankdx12

Jul 12, 2007
c3hammer said:
I just need to work a little harder and make enough to afford all of it. She won't complain about that one bit.

Cheers,
Pete

No way!!! When are you going to play if you are working all the time?

You've got a terrible attitude. :fft:

njkx

Apr 13, 2004

Cheers,
Pete[/QUOTE]
Clearly his wife hijacked his computer and wrote this message.

sigurd

Jun 24, 2007
njkx said:
Pete said:

Cheers,
Pete
Clearly his wife hijacked his computer and wrote this message.

Poor poor Pete. Might as well sell the computer, shut off your internet. No sense in knowing what it is like on the outside, man....It'll just make you more miserable.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I think depression and a mid life crisis is in order!

Chris

crf230ripper

Jun 22, 2007
Halfast816 said:
Tell her you are buying a new bike and that's that......and make sure your new apartment has a garage.

I thought the post about permission VS forgiveness was funny, this one had me hollerin!! The funny thing about all this is (my obvious relating to this mans problem that only a married man would understand) I was thinking the same thing....just pay cash and make sure you did the overtime for it!!...of course knowing me...I would've financed an 08 @ like 69 bucks a month...and told her i'll do one extra shift to make the payments......what about the 21 % interest???...i'll pay that too!!

haha ....good luck man....there were some good suggestions up here....I think the "good parent one" was probably your best bet....

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Your trusty YZ250 started on the second kick after sitting 4 years? And you want to switch to a thumper and start worrying about valve adjustments and such? I say ride it and have fun, get a chance to ride some buddy's bikes to get a feel for what you might want, then upgrade when funds permit. Besides, EFI is starting to become mainstream on thumpers, so by the time you're ready it should be everywhere (no more jetting!).

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
DougRoost said:
Your trusty YZ250 started on the second kick after sitting 4 years? And you want to switch to a thumper and start worrying about valve adjustments and such? I say ride it and have fun, get a chance to ride some buddy's bikes to get a feel for what you might want, then upgrade when funds permit. Besides, EFI is starting to become mainstream on thumpers, so by the time you're ready it should be everywhere (no more jetting!).
Doug you are not really posting that are you. :think: We know your other half is logged on for you and what you really would have posted was ;)
Your trusty YZ250 started on the second kick after sitting 4 years? You need to switch to a thumper and start worrying about valve adjustments and such. I say after all it is always more fun to spend money especially on great new toys so buy it and ride it. You will have more fun, But before buying ride some buddy's bikes to get a feel for what you might want, then upgrade as soon as posible before your wife catches on. Besides, EFI is starting to become mainstream on thumpers, and you want to have another excuse in a year or so for another bike :nod:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Halfast816 said:
Tell her you are buying a new bike and that's that......and make sure your new apartment has a garage.
I think you meant to say be sure your garage has room for an apartment for you to move into until she cools down :nod:

Top Bottom