How to fix loose air screw on XR400?

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hello,
I have a '96 XR400 with stock carb. I plan to get a pumper one day soon but am stuck with the stock carb for the mean time.

My problem is that my air scew is very loose. The vibrations from the engine turns the screw. The threads are way loose. What could I do to fix it so it will stay in one place? Removable Loctite? Teflon tape? Right now it's taped up with duct tape to hold it, very unsatisfactory. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

coyote

Mar 19, 2001
air screw

either of the fixes you mentioned will probably work, or you could go to the hardware store and get some small springs. See which one will work, cut it to the proper length(slightly longer than the distance between carb body and the head of the screw) , remove air screw, thread spring onto screw, and reinstall. The spring will keep tension on the screw. It might work.

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
I had the same problem with my XR400. I figured out that I was missing the spring. Once I installed the spring, it worked great.

Jeremy

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I had the same problem on my son's XR100 and found out it should have had a spring, a washer and a rubber O ring. The point of the needle was scored and the washer was missing. Stop at a honda shop and have them show you the parts drawing for your carb and see if there is anything missing. The whole assembly set me back all of $14.

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
Thanks for the tips, the bike was purchased used, and I was unaware of the spring, except for on the idle screw. I will look into it. Thanks again.

Top Bottom