keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
I am working on my KTM 440, it is running a little rough. It ran fine before I parked it for the winter, now it smoke allot and has a bit of hesitation. I have adjusted the idler screw to keep it running, but I am not sure where or how to get to the jets. Can I do this my self? I fix my own cars, but 2 strokes are a little foreign to me. Also is there a good video somewhere of how to change the fork seals?

rostifer

Mar 23, 2006
two stoke carbs are easier than 4 stroke carbs but you have to be more careful so you don't ruin your bike. Fork seals you just have to be brave and tear into them. You have to basically take that whole thing apart and be very, very careful when you put the new seals on.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
Its a 95. I am getting some oil down at the bottom by the hub. So let the pro's work on the carb. Is there no easy way of cleanin it without getting to far in, like cars use carb cleaner, or fuel injector cleaner?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
A 2 stroke carb has roughly 2 moving parts and not much else in it...

If you can't handle taking the float bowl off and soaking everything in carb cleaner, you really should find a new hobby.. It's not difficult at all.

First step, get a service manual.

It's the most valuable tool in your toolbox. If you don't already have one, get one before you do anything else.

Then read it. Everything you need to know about working on your specific bike will be answered within it's pages.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
Is there a good site I can order one from? I have no problem taking off the float, but like Rostifer said, " you have to be careful or you will ruin your bike". Better safe than sorry.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
keefbikes said:
Is there a good site I can order one from? I have no problem taking off the float, but like Rostifer said, " you have to be careful or you will ruin your bike". Better safe than sorry.

Well, yes, you have to be careful, but you won't ruin the bike.. You could end up costing yourself some money, but to tear down and clean it, I doubt you will ruin the bike.

Just keep in mind that if you are going to do jetting changes, do one change at a time, and work in small increments.

Nothing wild, and don't change more than one thing, so you will know what that change did.. and how it affected your bike. That way, if you do something that the bike doesn't like, you can change it back.

check repairmanuals.com for a service manual. If they don't have it, check a KTM dealer.

Top Bottom