How to ID the spring rate on a rear spring

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
RM 2003 125. Rider has just gone up from 85cc and is light (approx 125 lb). I think the bike has had a stiffer rear spring fitted and I cannot set the race sag without the spring being too loose, so I assume it is too stiff for his weight, but how can I tell what spring rate it is, as it is not marked in any way. It is red.
I guess in theory to put a known weight on the spring and measure it's deflection is one way, but can this be relied upon in practice? I just need to know what it is, so I can work out what lighter rate one to get.

Also as a second Q, is there a danger of going too light on the rear spring?. IE If I get an appropraite spring for his small size, which allows me to set the correct race sag, is there a danger of it deflecting too much under the bike/rider weight when landing off jumps?

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Not sure about suzuki but yamaha has a small paint stripe on the end of the spring. different color for different spring rates. check your owners manual.

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
Sully
The 03 RM125 came out with a 4.7kg/mm spring which will be too heavy for your rider. Racetech have a 4.4 and a 4.2 available. I would tend to go for the 4.4 myself as your rider would probably fall between these two rates. Unfortunately kids have a habit of growing and it wouldn't hurt to have a little room to accommodate this.
Terry

Top Bottom