How to install pilot jet?

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
I have a question about installing pilot jet in the PWK-35 carb. How hard do you screw it in? I've seen warnings about being gentle with jets, so when I installed a #45 pilot jet I screwed it in very lightly until I started feeling resistance. It does not feel like it is completely seated, i.e. I can definitely screw it in deeper but with some force. Main jet was simple - it has a definitive "seated" feel to it, but pilot jet does not, and I do not want to cause damage.

So (a) how deep do I screw it in, and (b) how will the bike run if it is not seated all the way?

Thanks for your help.

santod

Aug 28, 2005
I would make sure that it is threaded properly. If so It does not have to super tight. As long as there is no play it wont leak gas.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You should have a 'feel' for force applied to fasteners depending on their size and the metal they are made from.

The 'too tight' part comes from folks that have no clue what that 'feel' is. The pilot jet gets along just fine when tightened to a 'reasonable' torque value.

I don't know what 'seated' and 'some force' mean to you.

Considering the washer on the main, it actually lacks a good feel, imo..and it's a snap (har) to break off 'cuz it's hollow.

Well, so is the pilot..but it has considerably longer threads...but is smaller in diameter.

See? Any description of 'how much' is going to be completely subjective.

With a screwdriver that is small enough to fit inside the hole, the handle should be fairly small, too. You can easily apply enough force with two fingers to 'properly' seat a pilot jet.

The pilot does have a 'seated' feel to it, too.

...not like a new spark plug 'fer instance.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Seated means that it stops, your small screw driver can be turned with two fingers ( daughter says a thumb and a finger... can't they remember the stuf "I" want them to remember) to seat the pilot. With those two fingers ( :laugh: ) turn it in till it stops.... then stop, your done, it is seated.

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
canyncarvr said:
I don't know what 'seated' and 'some force' mean to you.
Yes I see the lack of precision in my question. So let me try to quantify it: how does pilot jet feel compared to the main jet when properly seated?
Considering the washer on the main...
What washer? My main jet doesn't have a washer, and the parts diagram doesn't show one either.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…