flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
any advice from experienced people in this area? I'm getting ready to lace up a front wheel after I exploded my front wheel on my CRF450. Any advise on how to tighten up on the spokes will help. We are gonna put the axle in a vise and use the edge of the work bench as we spin the wheel to check for round. I assume its like bolting up a wheel on a car criss cross pattern? Thanks for ya'lls help.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
never done it on a motorcycle but did it numerous times on my mx bicycles.
With tire off and wheel on bike; measure distance (on both sides) from swingarm to rim. that's your major guideline. that and keeping the rim from bobing up and down when you spin it. also draw on paper the spoke-to-rim pattern.
you can do it. if not then you can take the bungled mess to a mechanic. but be prepared for laughter. he probably thinks it's the easiest thing in the world to do.
:-)

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Do a search as this has been covered before pretty well. Pictures are an excellent idea. You can do it.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
EXCELLENT ARTICLE!

Now.. I bought my bike used. ALL of the **&^% spokes are siezed, and a few are broken. How do I get them loose? Where's a good place to get whole new wheels to start over?

I really keep up on the maintence, it's just not fair when I have to deal with other peoples junk cos I can't afford a new bike!!!

Top Bottom