How to make a dirtbike quiet???

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
What can I do to quiet my exhaust pipe?

I am interested in making my KDX200 as quiet as possible (without shutting it off).

I have a Gnarly pipe on my KDX200 and I have ordered a dB Snorkel for it, but I understand that the vibration of the pipe itself can contribute to noise. (I don't have the stocker anymore.)

What can I do to make the exhaust pipe quieter?

Thanks!

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I have a 2T KDX200 with FMF Gnarly pipe & TCII S/A. I want to make the bike as quiet as possible, and this made me wonder...

What are the things that can be done to quiet a dirtbike???

The exhaust system is an obvious candidate and I've ordered a db Snorkel for that, but what else can be done? Tranny oil cavity full of fluid? Foam between skid plate and frame?

Some answers may be 2T or 4T dependent, but I believe this is a subject we all need to know better if we want to keep riding :ride:

Thanks for any help you can provide!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
You can completely silence any bike by pressing the little red button on the left side of the bars for a few seconds.;)

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i heard frudaddy , is willing to give up his bike so one of ours is eligible to be twice as loud :nener:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
fmf "Q" is the quietest i can think of . to quiet more i think that a pipe guard might cut down on the pipe noise a little

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
ellandoh said:
i heard frudaddy , is willing to give up his bike so one of ours is eligible to be twice as loud :nener:
Maybe, but i was thinking about somebody other than you, so put the silencer back before you get caught.:moon: I just reported you to the noise police.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
:) what was i thinking :coocoo:

adam728

Aug 16, 2004

Get a stock exhaust. I don't care what you add to your silencer, the bike will not be as quiet as stock because of the expansion chamber. The stock pipe is actually a pipe within a pipe with fiberglass mat between them. I'm running an FMF pipe and stock silencer and my bike is way louder than stock just because of the expansion chamber ring.

Other ways to quiet down are running an airbox lid and snorkle (an engine sucking air is loud), as well as foam between the engine and skid like you mentioned. Beyond that, I dunno. Remember the engine fairings that made a showing in the early/mid 90's? How about those with sound damping insulation?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…