How to mount a MX rear fender on a 97 220?

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
I bought the fender from Fredette and the recesses on the top of the fender where the bolts are "supposed" to go. Do not line up with the mounting bracket on the frame.

Do I move the bracket by cutting and re-welding or drill holes where there not supposed to be?

vetwfo'er

------------------
99 WR400f, White Bros E-Series silencer and tapered head pipe. YZ seat and tank. Thumper rad guards, works frame guards, scots steering damper. Soon to be MX-Tech suspension. SETRA, AMA, Happy Ramblers MC.

97KDX220, FMF Rev pipe and silencer, renthals.

Courage is not the absense of fear. It is the judgement that something is more important, than fear.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
You shouldn't have to cut anything. Make sure the fender is slid into place. Also make sure you use the spacer blocks on top of that bracket. It sounds like something isn't lined up right.

------------------

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
I I had the same problem with mine. All I did was drilled the front two holes that mount the fender to the air box a little larger to allow for some movement. I installed those two front screws loosley and then put the two rear screws in. The two rears didn't just drop right in. I had to install them at an angle. Then I just tightened them with a ratchet and screwdriver and it basically pulled the fender tight. Now I tightened the front screws all the way. After all this, the middle screws lined up perfectly and the fender had a good fit to it.

Kaw Bill

------------------

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info, but I didn't have any spacers under the fender. I could make some and the front hole would only allow me to gain about 3/16" of rearward movement befoer the fender hits the airbox and the holes in the recess (top rear) are 3/8" off.

By the way this is a Maier fender. Is that what you guys used?

vetwfo'er

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
Yes, it's a Maier fender. It came with black plastic spacers that were about a 1/2 inch thick. When you're done making the spacers just insert the screws at an angle. You may have to persuade them a little. Once the're through the hole in the sub frame put the nuts on and tighten them. It sort of forces them into place. If that doesn't work then something must be bent or out of place.

kaw Bill

------------------

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
Call Maier and tell them... They will never change the bad fit if they don't know about it..

I've called and talked to the design eng. a couple times. Might not do any good, but it made me feel better and that's what counts.

Top Bottom