IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Does anyone have any ideas about how to remove a bearing from the crankcase?

The bearing in question is the a power valve actuator bearing on my nephews KX85.

It's pressed into the side of the crankcase, just above the crank.

I don't have access to a bearing puller, or even know where to get one.

It's a blind access, so pushing it out isn't an option. I don't have a welder, so welding something to it to pull it won't work.

I am out of ideas, short of taking it to a machine shop..

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
Sorry Indy, I can't come up with any easy way other than a puller. The problem is it has to be pulled straight out, otherwise it cocks in the bore and binds. What you need is a 'Blind Bearing Puller'. I checked Fleabay and they can be had for about $100 (120144789041).

B

biglou

Maybe a right-angle dental pick or something similar and a propane torch to warm up the case around the bearing? Not sure how much heat is too much, though.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I have calls into a couple people who may have the required puller, just waiting to hear back if they have one the right size or not.

I really want to do it right and not screw anything up. The boy would like to be able to ride at Redbud this weekend.

I don't really like the idea of heating to get it out.. Like you say Lou, not sure when too much is too much...

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
You should look at this as an opportunity to buy the right tool for the job.

I bought a tool under similar circumstances when I was in high school. I'm 38 now and have used that same tool on my CR250 a few years ago.

But it now and this will never be a problem again for the rest of your life. ;)

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
If you decide to heat the area with a propane torch, heat until water just sizzles off the area when dripped onto it. It will be approx 400 deg. when this happens and will do no damage. The only problem is that even after heating the case, the bearing would have to literally fall out, as you have no way to get a good hold of it. A dental pick or seal pick may not be enough if it's really in there.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Them blind pullers are size specific. Knowing a guy at the shop helps a lot! Redbud,huh?

He got hold of a few things a machinist at work put together for us to try.. He didn't have a puller small enough for this particular bearing.. It's got a hole in it that's just a bit smaller than 1/4 inch.. Not sure on the exact size though.

I also might be able to get help from a friend of my brothers who has quite a bit of experience with this sort of thing.. We'll get it out...

Yes, Bob.. Redbud this Sunday! We'll be parked over by where you parked last time, only this time under a tree.. It's gonna be a hot one this weekend. I'll save you a spot...

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
if the bearing is trashed anyway you can run 2 screws, one on each side of the bearing, between the 2 races. the threads lock into the races pretty well if you picked the right diameter screws. then yank on the 2 screws to get the bearing out, its worked for me before

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
ZOMBIE666 said:
if the bearing is trashed anyway you can run 2 screws, one on each side of the bearing, between the 2 races. the threads lock into the races pretty well if you picked the right diameter screws. then yank on the 2 screws to get the bearing out, its worked for me before
Are you serious? You have no idea how small this bearing is!

allthingsdirt

Jun 6, 2007
Putting the part in the oven always works for me. The case will heat up faster than the bearing allowing it to drop out (in theory).
Try 350 ish for 15-20 min. This is how I removed the axle bearings on my old 400ex and the bearings did literally fall out of the carrier.

Don't forget to put the new bearing in the freezer first.

Cheers.

MXer666

Jul 15, 2007
put it into the oven and heat it to 100*C(not sure what it is in *F) The bearing are seated by heat and youll need heat to get the bearing out. once u heat the case, just turn it over and lightly tap behind it and it should fall out.

worst comes to worst, drill 2 holes opposit eachother and put screws in, heat the cases and put wire around the screws and take a screwdriver and at the same time pull both wires to pull the bearing out.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Uhhh.. did I mention that it's not in the side case.. It's in the side of the crank case, right above the crank.. It's a good thought, but I don't think I'll be taking the motor out and putting the whole thing in the oven.

Actually we got it out tonight though.

Took an allen wrench, ground off most of the end, and into the side.. So that it had just a little nub of a tip, witha nice indent for clearance to get it in the hole.

Welded the "handle" end of it to a screw in the tip of a slide hammer, and used that to lightly tap around the bearing..

It came out pretty easily. Actually, it took way longer to make the tool than it did to get the bearing out.

No heat needed. I'll most likely have to heat a little to get the new bearing in though.

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Not sure if this is mentioned, but put the bearing in the freezer before installation so it contracts and the heat will expand the case...

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
This is the water pump/governor bearing, it's so small that no special techniques are required for insallation. It should take minimal effort to install.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Yeah, shouldn't be much hassle..

MMZ: Should I freeze the bearing first? I'm really not clear on that. :whoa:

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
MMZ: Should I freeze the bearing first? I'm really not clear on that.

i think what hes saying is just to put the bearing into the freezer so the metal contracts and makes it easy for you to get it seated easier.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
sixds said:
i think what hes saying is just to put the bearing into the freezer so the metal contracts and makes it easy for you to get it seated easier.

Uhh, dude, I was messing with him. It's been mentioned a couple times that you should freeze the bearings.

Wow.. I knew sarcasm didn't really translate well on the net, but that's what the :whoa: is for.. :clue:

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
stop by on the way home fron Redbud, I'm 1/2 mile off I65 at RT231. I'll yank it.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Are you serious? You have no idea how small this bearing is!

if its the same size as the tiny PV bearing an a 98 yz250 than i do, besides it will work on ANY size bearings, just need the right size screws for the bearing. done it many times
i used wood screws for the YZ

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
thorman75 said:
stop by on the way home fron Redbud, I'm 1/2 mile off I65 at RT231. I'll yank it.

Errr.. it's out.. And I take 31 to Buchanan, 65 is way longer. And you should be at Redbud on Sunday anyway.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
How lucky to be 45 minutes from the best track in the US of A! My mission,if I can swing it,to at least double the leap! Crap,old age and gravity suk! Solid State,there is plenty of room,we can save a spot for you!

Top Bottom