2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Ok, my KX has a nasty little gouge on the gas tank from the pipe mount rubbing into it. (Was a basket case, it was like that when I got it.) I repaired it once using a metallic epoxy putty that Ive had great luck with elsewhere. It failed. Leaked, then the whole thing peeled off. Then I tried with a marine grade putty that said it was suitable for fuel tank repairs, even underwater!!! THat lasted about 3 days before it to failed. The actual "hole" is more of a slot, about 2 inches long total, not more than 1/8 inch wide at the widest. ANy ideas about what I can plug it with that gas will not defeat? I was thinking good old JB weld next, but Im not sure.....
Thanks,
Neil

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Did you try normal epoxy? I repaired an old KDZ 175 this way. It worked after I scared th eheck out of the area to give the epoxy a place to grip.

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
I got one idea today at work, a guy told me about taking an old fender or something, shaving into bits, and loading the bits into a cheap electric hot melt glue gun, and "welding" the plastic in this way...Ive heard of repairing other plastic like this...Hmmm Im gonna see how much the cheapie glue gun at wally world is.

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
we have had good luck with JB weld, and also we have patched the tank with fiberglass, which worked better than jb weld. we used this stuff on my dad's $200 Special and looks dont matter, so we didnt sand either one. i dont know how strong either will be after sanding, but if looks dont matter those two work great. just make sure you use a very course-grit sandpaper to rough up the sandpaper so it will stick.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I used this stuff called "Seal All" to repair my tank. Sort of the same problem as you. This stuff is a goo type deal. I cut up and clean rag into a small peice that covers the area. I then use this rag as a patch and smear the goo all over and around the area with the Seal All. It looks pretty bad, but its the only thing that worked for me also.

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Well, I tried a hybrid repair. I used a low watt soldering iron, and some donor plastic, and melted it together pretty nicely. Then, I coated the whole area with some of that seal-all. We'll see if it makes it.
Thanks!

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
Orrrrr...................., you could check the phone book for a shop that does plastic repairs. Believe it or not, there are professional plastic welders out there.

Some one has to fix those large plastic tanks farmers, road construction crews, yard services, and pest control guys use........

Top Bottom