fwsteal

Mar 25, 2007
Okay, what is the best way to replace grips? What keeps them on the handlebar? Is there glue that I need to use to keep the grips on securely? I want to replace my stock black ones with a set of Renthal's to match my fatbar (rm125).

450X

Test It!!!
Mar 25, 2007
cut the old grips off with a knife or razor, then spray the ends of the handlebars with clear spray paint, this will help slick up the bars for putting the new grips on and will act as a glue to hold them in place when it dries. :ride:

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
No, you can just treat the throttle tube like the other end of the bar; just know that its made of plastic (in most cases) and very aggressive razor-blading could scratch it up a little.

ALSO IMPORTANT! A package of grips will come with two grips (of course), but one is going to be bigger and one will be smaller. Use the bigger one on the throttle!

Technodriver

May 11, 2007
To replace grips if you don't wan to stick it in case you want to change them again is to use a air blower whit a small tip and blow air between the grip and the bar....i never use any glue or paint and it always stick there!!

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Technodriver said:
To replace grips if you don't wan to stick it in case you want to change them again is to use a air blower whit a small tip and blow air between the grip and the bar....i never use any glue or paint and it always stick there!!

You must not ride in wet conditions. I have to glue and safety wire my grips or they'll twist while I try to hold on while accelerating hard or they slip off when it's wet out.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I've never had to cut them off. I simply grab the inner flap on each side and pull backward like hell. Usually turns them inside out, but they've always come off. Even with glue or lacquer holding them. Of course, you need to cut the safety wire off first if you use it. If you want to reuse the insideout grips, just put warm water on them, then put it over the end of a rounded broom stick and pull them back rightside out.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
How to replace grips
1. Log in to dirtrider.net.
2. Press Search.
3. Type in "change grips".
4. Find a thread that has directions.
5. Read
6. Follow directions.

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Moose said:
How to replace grips
1. Log in to dirtrider.net.
2. Press Search.
3. Type in "change grips".
4. Find a thread that has directions.
5. Read

I did all that, went out to the check the bike and the old grips are still on it, did I miss a step?

Top Bottom