Nov 17, 2006
I've ridden ATV's for years and only just started riding DBs. There's a quarry near me and I was watching the kids rip around a bowl (not sure of the correct term - like an off-camber u-turn).

I tried it a few times and if I go slow I make it but it looks gay. If I go fast, the front end drops and I do a faceplant. I thought the best way was to lean the bike to the uphill side and weight the downhill footpeg while I slip the clutch a little. Is this right?

My g/f wants to come watch me ride and I'd like to make a good impression. Any help greatly appreciated.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
telling the GF fish stories huh?? :nener:

practice the bowl she is going to be watching about 100 times before you get her out there :cool:

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Well once you bring the girlfriend out to watch that will probably be the day you really take a good soil sample and hurt yourself. I think they call it Karma but it just seems to work that way.

All I can say is Goodluck, try not to ride over your head to "impress" the lady.

Nov 17, 2006
It's definitely like riding around the inside of a bowl. The bowl is way steeper than the flat turn in the example but I'll try some of the suggestions. It's nice to know that even the pros high-side once in a while. Apparently I was comming in too fast and slipping the clutch. The article said to enter on 1/4 throttle and accelerate from there, no clutch. Thanks for the link.

Impressing people is part of the sport for me! :ride:

Nov 17, 2006
I went out today and tried again - those tips made a big difference. I did real well ccw and pretty good clockwise. Nothing's worse than practicing for hours just to find out you've been doing it wrong. I'll check out those tips tonite. Thanks again for your help.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Get in the front of that seat, best advice I can give you. I've watched videos of pros in slow motion and they're almost sitting on the gas cap. If you're sitting too far back, you might lose your front wheel and faceplant or be startled with a sideways wheelie and end up in the woods or something lol. Good luck!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Glad you got the technique right! Now practice, practice, and ohh...yeah practice :) Make sure your weight is on the exterior side of the bike when you turn. Eg: Lets say you turn left, put your weight on the right side, this will give you more traction and balance. Good luck.

Top Bottom