motox

May 21, 2001
After I rebuilt my top end my KDX has completely changed her starting procedures. Before it would start every first or second kick. Now after it sits 2 or 3 days it is very stubborn. My usual way to start it now is as follows: Try and kick it a couple of times with no luck. (choke on) Then I hold the kill switch on and kick a few times, release kill switch and then it usually fires. Anyone else experience this?

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
I have learnt that method with a rather stubborn road bike. Nothing but nothing starts easier than my freshly rebuilt KDX though. Throw another new plug at it & then start idle mixture adjustment if it doesn’t get better.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
It sounds to me like the carb needs a good cleaning. Make sure the small openings in the carb bell are not plugged with filter oil or dirt, these openings are where the choke and pilot circuits get their air from. If these passages are dirty or plugged, the fuel will not flow through the choke jet properly, making cold-starting difficult.

motox

May 21, 2001
David, I guess I should have mentioned this in my first post. If I do throw a new plug in their it will start first kick every time. Since top end it has been running very rich. I have Boyesen power reeds and a FMF fatty pipe. I dont know what size pilot fets are in the carb, but I will take them out and see.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Good idea Spanky, I take it as general practise these days, too many old clunkers have gone through these hands that it goes without saying in my mind to clean the carb out. Strangely several friends are scared of this seemingly impossible task. Go figure.

In the absence of a compressor blow through a tube. Don’t try a piece of wire to clean a jet out as I’m told this will enlarge it. Haven’t been game to find out the hard way.

Shadowknife

Aug 27, 2001
I've nevr had any problems starting my KDX using the following prosedure:

1) Find Power Stroke
2) If cold use choke
3) Then kick

If flooded, tip over and let gas pour out. Then try with full choke and full throttle. I always like to find the power stoke.
Then when I get home I turn the gas off.
I've never had a problem starting within 3 kicks and my bike is 10 years old.
Lot's of new engine and top end.
Look at carb and air filter like people have been saying in past replies!

Hope it helps!:D

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Shadowknife, (& with a name like that maybe I shouldn’t be extracting the urine, but I feel like I’m far away enough to get away with my life). . .

Every down stroke on my KDX is a powerstroke. Perhaps you thought this was JustKLX?:p

hehehe ;)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
My KDX's always started best cold without using any throttle at all. Put your right hand on the brake reservoir to prevent accidently twisting the grip.

motox

May 21, 2001
Took carb off today and cleaned. Pilot jet looked to be completely clogged up. So the bike started first kick. It idles so high now it's scary. (Last fall when I cleaned the carb I neglected to remove the jets and inspect and clean them, heck at that time I didn't even know what they were) The only way I can get it to idle down is to turn the pilot air screw all the way in. I think that leans it out. Could I have done something terribly wrong putting carb back together that would make it idle so high? Here are my specs:
1992 KDX 200
New piston and rings OEM parts
FMF fat boy gold series pipe and arrester
R1172N Needle Jet-- Clip in top notch
150 main
48 Pilot
93 octain at 44:1 with BelRay MC1
NGK B7ES plug
Still looking for the right combination. I do think I'm getting closer. Thanks for all the replys and keep them coming. (This, in my opionion, is the best motorcycle site on the net) Keep it up and stay in it.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
OK so there is slack in the throttle cable & the idle (speed not mixture) screw is turned out so it is not touching the slide?

Yes? & it still idles high?

Look for the airleak. In my own case this is happening & I have just sumped up to buy a new slide ($$$) as it has a groove in it letting air past whilst closed meaning idle cannot be adjusted down anymore.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yes it does richen it & 48 pilot it pretty rich anyway so suspect airleak which he has to over rich to kill down a bit.

The needle shouldn’t have much affect on the pilot cct which is primarily idle to off idle. Only the airjet, the pilot jet, the choke cctry if stuck & the slide will affect this. The needle should not be in it’s taper section in the idle fully closed position.

motox

May 21, 2001
Throttle cable to tight? Duh, I wish I had chaecked that last night. Honestly that crossed my mind as soon as I woke up this morning. Then I read all the post. Well.....It was the cable, somehow it got to tight during carb cleaning. By the way it started on first Kick, A baby kick at that. Thanks everyone.

Top Bottom