610 bad boy

Feb 16, 2006
i've just bought a husquvarna 610 super moto and i cant start the bugger any ideas people :bang: some one please help :coocoo: and it's not an electric start either its a kick only :yikes:

Last edited:

BonChance13

May 7, 2002
my '00 TC was insanely easy to start,if it's cold use the choke,bring it to TDC ,then bring the kicker just past TDC and let it go back to the top of it's stroke,then give give a firm steady boot to it through the kicker motion and it should start right up.The just past TDC part might take a couple tries and no throttle.Good luck.

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
Do you have a compression release by your clutch? if so, are you using it? This may sound like a stupid question, but it's easy to forget little things sometimes.

I have a husky 610 as well (not running yet). If you feel like talkin' about your first ride on yours, I'd love to hear about it, since I haven't even ridden my husky yet.

Good luck with the starting!
~Agitator

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I'm very interested in these bikes as well. My current dual sport mount is an XR650L, choices of street legal bikes in Iowa are very limited, the 610 (at least one version of it) is street legal. It sounds like technically it would be miles ahead of my XR, although i'm also hearing about some quirky problems folks are having with them...

anyone know the history of when they made significant changes to them?

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
Quirky problems? naaah! (jk)
Mine melted two stators in a row..

I don't know much about how different models compare to each other in terms of road-readiness, but I know that the newer husky TE's are FACTORY street legal in all 50 states..
My '94 on the other hand will need DOT app'd tires and lights to be street legal, but the stator I have will run lights, so I just need to buy a head and tail...

IDK if this info is helpful to u... It was worth a try.

Bad Boy: how was your first ride?

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I guess I consider the tires to be the least of my worries. Were the older Huskies street legal on the title? Metal fuel tank etc.?

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
Gee... I dunno about the tank. Mine has a '99 CA sticker on it, but It's not approved for highway use.. Maybe that is why it is okay to have a plastic tank. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the subject will post (I'd like to know too). I can ask George Earl the next time I talk to him~

Yeah... Tires aren't a big deal at all.. my rear one is on its way out anyways... The replacement I buy will probably be DOT approved..

~Agitator

wr_guy

Feb 22, 2006
The old 610 did not have a counterbalancer and I believe was lacking one of two oil pumps and filters the new bikes have.

The new ones are supposed to be smooth and the old ones vibrators.

The new 610 does look sweet!

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
wr_guy said:
The old 610 did not have a counterbalancer and I believe was lacking one of two oil pumps and filters the new bikes have.

The new ones are supposed to be smooth and the old ones vibrators.

The new 610 does look sweet!

What do you mean by counterbalancer?
I'll see how much mine vibrates when I get it running- I'll report back with my findings...

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
A counter balancer is a shaft that rotates opposite to the crankshaft, and is designed to dampen engine vibration. It makes for a smoother engine with less vibrations.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I think the KTMs like the LC4 bikes vibrate a lot as well.

I love my XR, but i'm trying to keep an eye on what else is out there, the demand for it and the value will plummet when someone releases a newer/lighter/better model. The Husky is probably too obscure to make a real impact in the market, the DRZ400 is a good bike but not enough of an improvement over the XR to make it "obsolete", at least in my opinion anyway.

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
TimberPig said:
A counter balancer is a shaft that rotates opposite to the crankshaft, and is designed to dampen engine vibration. It makes for a smoother engine with less vibrations.

Thank's for clearin' that up for me :cool:
I'm more familiar with vibration dampers on cars. :coocoo:

It seems like everything on a motorcycle engine is different from other engines :nod:
I guess someone would say the same thing to me about outboard motors. "it's all what you get used to."

:aj:

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
Starting drill...

I have a '00 610TE and it is very easy to start if you do the drill. :bang:
  • with gas off & choke off, pull in the compression release
  • push the kick start lever through 10 - 12 cycles to clear the cylinder
  • turn on fuel valve and push down choke lever
  • while grabbing the right side of the handle bar just inside the throttle (never...ever... touch the throttle during the starting drill) and
  • standing on the left side of the bike, using your right foot, kick the start lever hard and completly through the travel.
  • repeat 4 - 5 times
:blah:
if it doesn't start, repeat the drill until your leg falls off or you can no longer breathe. While you're resting check to see if you have fuel... fresh fuel. :p

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Wholly crap! That reminds me of a big four stroke someone brought to one of the dirt weeks, had a big cardboard sign stating "if you can start it, you can ride it". I think that was a Husaberg, the other "h" bike. I saw a few folks taking their turn at it...

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
motometal said:
Wholly crap! That reminds me of a big four stroke someone brought to one of the dirt weeks, had a big cardboard sign stating "if you can start it, you can ride it". I think that was a Husaberg, the other "h" bike. I saw a few folks taking their turn at it...

So for the people who were able to handle the punishment of starting the bike, they then proceeded to ride it and further exhaust themsleves? Sounds like fun. I wish I was there. :aj: :aj: :aj:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom