nickt916

Oct 22, 2005
my seals on my YZ250f '01 started leaking the other day and before i go and buy new ones i would like to try and clean them first, i got home tonight it was a bit dark and seems like pulling the dust seals is pretty easy, but is it? I dont want to mess them up, can someone advice me on this please, i have the manual but it doesnt explain how to take them off to clean them, it just says to take them off and clean them regularly...

are there articles on this or anything, i have looked around didnt have any luck.

thanks

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
in the forum "Suspension Q&A with Jeremy Wilkey " look for "leaky fork seal" read that for a method to attempt to clean the seal b-4 replacing it,it worked for me.....so far.

My dust seal/wiper came off with a small screw driver,I just gently wedged it between the aluminum and the rubber,gave the screwdriver a twist in two places and the wiper/dust seal was off. I slid it down the fork.

hope this helps.

Crazy4nitro

Gibby

Dec 8, 2004
Then after you do that you can take a business card or something similar and slide it up the fork tube into the seal to clean out any dirt.

nickt916

Oct 22, 2005
crazy4nitro said:
in the forum "Suspension Q&A with Jeremy Wilkey " look for "leaky fork seal" read that for a method to attempt to clean the seal b-4 replacing it,it worked for me.....so far.

My dust seal/wiper came off with a small screw driver,I just gently wedged it between the aluminum and the rubber,gave the screwdriver a twist in two places and the wiper/dust seal was off. I slid it down the fork.

hope this helps.

Crazy4nitro

i saw someone said to put as much waterproof grease between the oil seals and dist seals to prevent future leaks or is that not necessary ?

Gibby said:
Then after you do that you can take a business card or something similar and slide it up the fork tube into the seal to clean out any dirt.

wouldnt that push the dirt up into the forks and then be a problem later?

should i use some kinda cloth to wipe the oil between the seals and the fork?

Gibby

Dec 8, 2004
You would be surprized how much dirt will stick to the paper. You can also make one of those fancy tools with a hook on the end out of a pop bottle or something similar.

Top Bottom