How to tie down a dirt bike in a truck bed

Alex28

Oct 17, 2008
I'm going to pick up my 04' Honda CRF230F this weekend and I've never tied down a dirt bike before. What are some do's and don'ts and any tips or help would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Alex

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Go buy some good quality tie downs to begin with. I don't care for the ratcheting ones. Use the anchor points in the front of the bed and the handlebars at the bottom. Pull the tie downs tight enough to keep the bike from rocking side to side and you're all set. I like to wrap the loop at the free end of the tie down around the throttle and fronk brake.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Make sure you do not pinch any wires, cables etc... when you hook on the bars. I use soft ties on the bars and hook to the loop on them. Just snug the ties down, no need to fully compress the fork, maybe 4" should be plenty.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I have a friend who is super paranoid.. After tightening his tiedowns, he attaches a bungie cord to the hooks on his tiedowns so that if the bike bounces at all it keeps the tiedowns tight and they don't come off the bars..

I have never had that happen, but I suppose it could... maybe, if you didn't get them tight enough.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I use two camlock tie down straps; one on each handlebar and connected on the other end to the stake pockets in the truck bed sidewall. I also use a couple of strips of wood that are screwed together to keep the front wheel from sliding around. Cheap but effective.

Alex28

Oct 17, 2008
Thanks for all the help guys, could someone link me to the tie downs your talking about so I know what ones to buy when I go to the store. And it's a 6 foot truck bed.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The straps in the link below are made by Ancra (the best out there) for Malcom Smith Racing (MSR) and have the soft strap built in. They are the best I've used. If you buy them from MX South you'll get a great price as well as supporting a long time sponsor of DRN.

http://www.mxsouth.com/msr/msr-tie-downs-straps-msr-soft-hook-tiedowns.htm

msr-tie-downs-straps-msr-soft-hook-tiedowns_1.jpg

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Definitely get the Ancra.

I've got cheap ones that I've thrown away after they slipped and bikes fell over. Luckily that has only happened (to me) in the driveway not going down the road.

Alex28

Oct 17, 2008
I'm buying it from a guy, hopefully I can find ancra or something similar to those, I don't think they'll come in time if I order them from the internet.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
any bike shop worth a pinch of sh . . . salt will have decent tie downs. Stop by one on the way.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
yes, those will work fine. I've never worried much about scratching the handlebars and just place the hook over the bar and snug up the line. About the only thing I'll do for security's sake is to set a third tiedown from one side of the bed to the other and loop it around the front tire to keep the wheel from sliding around.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I also use the soft ties on the bars and then add these to my tie-downs to use instead of the standard hooks. They've worked great for me for years.

Attachments

• carabineer.jpg
    carabineer.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 171

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
truespode said:
I prefer these:

http://www.lockstraps.com/

Going to be buying a set soon.

strap-iso.jpg

Ivan

I was going to question whether someone could just cut through the strap, but I looked at the site and it says there is also a steel cable running through the strap. That seems like a great idea.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I am sure someone could still snap it with some cheap cutters or something but when hauling it is safer in the back of the truck or on an open trailer for 20 minutes while I take a bio break than it would be without it.

I'll still use my Zena disc lock as well.

Ivan

Top Bottom