How Used Should I Get?

Sliver

Sep 11, 2004
I just have a hard time justifying a brand new 250 2-stroke because their value drops so fast, so now I'm looking at picking up a used yz250.

I'd like to find a good deal on a 2005, but only decent deals I'm finding are used race bikes where the person is upgrading to a 2006 race bike.

Is it worth buying a 2002-2004 yz250 and then spending some of they money I'm saving on suspension and freshening up the bike or should I keep looking for a 2005? Basically, will I be missing anything by giving up the aluminum frame and inheriting the problems that come w/ a used bike?

Any opinions on my search? I don't need the most competitive bike b/c I'm not racing and I'm still getting more comfortable on the local tracks, but I hate buying a bike that is already outdated.

dscofever

Oct 15, 2005
How long do you intend on keeping the bike?

If it's long term, I would get brand new. If you are the type that needs a new bike every two years...go used. That's my opinion.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Be patient and look around a lot. It's not unusual to find an older bike that was bought on a whim and has spent most of it's time sitting in a garage collecting dust. I'd be very hesitant to buy a bike that was raced on a regular basis. Many times they're just flat worn out regardless of the maintenance schedule. In fact, I got burnt on a KX85 and had to replace the bottom end after only 5 minutes of riding.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002

My experience has been quite the opposite. The racers in my area take care of their bikes and do regular maint. What you have to watch for is the trail/woods rider that thinks maint is changing the oil once a year and nothing else. Here is an example, I am in the market for a CRF250. A guy on thumpertalk posted he couldn't understand why his 04 wasn't selling for $2,600 so I email him. This is the response I got:

heres some pics of my bike. Its all stock, has about 40 hours on it. I really havent ridden it much this year. Most of the time i ride my 4 wheeler. Theres some scratches on the bike from being laid over. There is a groove on the motor where the shifter got bent up. I included a picture of it. The front tire has a leek in it. It will hold air for about 24 hours then goes flat. I rode the bike down at the little sahara sand dunes 2 weeks ago and the bike ran perfect. The bike has never been raced. Most of the time I have done trail riding with it. I have changed my oil at least every 3 hours. I have never check the valves but no more than i ride it i asume there allright. Also the bike has a clear title and i have it all paid for. If you have anymore questions feel free to email me.

Wow, wonder why nobody is buying that bike. Unfortunately, that is typical of the woods/tail rider bikes I run across here.

Look at the bike, you will know right away if they have taken care of the bike. Ask them questions about their maint.

Apr 14, 2005
Those YZ's are pretty strong bikes, I dont think you could go wrong getting a NOT RACED 03 or something... then like you said, sink the $$ into suspension and parts. Find an older rich guy that just had it sitting around to putts around on on the weekend

Sliver

Sep 11, 2004
The reason I'm asking is that I found a 2002 for sale that is all stock. The only problem is that its on it's original top end and the person says that it's pretty much sat for the last 2 years only being started occasionally.

If I buy it, it will get a new topend, all fluids changed and will probably need the carbs cleaned. I just don't know what other problems i'll be stepping into getting a bike that has sat in storage for so long.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
i know what you mean about the probs your stepping into. i bought an 82 kdx 175 like no even a month ago. rode it prolly like 10-12 times for like an hour or 2 at a time. and i jsut snapped my throttle cable, the kickstart shaft wasnt straight coming outta the case so i ripped it apart and found a crack width wise in it. there is a chunk missing out of the case where the outer seal sits right behind that seal. i now need a new kickstart shaft, outer seal, case price on this, clutch lever down by the case (not on the bars). and a case gasket. i also have an 86 Suzuki LT250EF, that needs a new T-cable, and rear tire tubes...... thats just sitting there. and i put almost a 1000 bux into it when i bought it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…