How well does Hatfield-McCoy stack up?

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Hello,

A group of us in the Chicagoland area are planning a trip to H-M. We are wondering how good is the riding. We like really tight ,narly,steep,rocky, rooted stuff. We have been to "land between the lakes ORV park in Kentucky". Does anyone know how these two places compare. The drive to H-M is 10-11 hours, is H-M worth the trip. Any suggestions for an alternative place to ride for 2-3 day less then 8 hours drive from Chicago would be appreciated.

thanks in advance :)
the WoodChuck

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
I know there's been lots of posts on this topic, but none really critic the riding. I'm not looking for a family atv outing, or miles of ATV trails, single track, single track, single track... Comments?

ATK Lew

Sep 13, 2000
When I rode the Bear Wallow section in Logan in Oct there was only one section of "single track" that was motorcycle specific. The thing is untill you have ridden in WV you have no idea how tough even "ATV trails" can be. They have the trails marked according to difficulty but as they state it is according to their opinion of difficult. I lived in WV for 29 years so it wasn't a surprise to me but some of their "ATV trail" is pretty awesome stuff. If you are looking for truely gruely conditions it may not be what you are looking for. I participated in the original hare-scramble series back in the late 70's early 80's that is now the GNCC's so what I consider grueling is the Mooserun/
Blackwater type of stuff. Allthough I like that stuff, I rode at Bear Wallow 4&1/2 hrs on a Sat and 5&1/2 on Sun and never got bored or covered it all. :eek:

I guess the best way I can put it is I can't wait to go back and if you don't like this place then you don't like riding. :p

------------------
ATK--Who makes that?

andym

Jun 3, 2000
There is stuff there for everybody. If you want easy stuff for the kiddies to ride just stay on the easy trails(Green on the maps). For those wanting more techinical stuff it is there too. This is truely a great riding area and will only get better as it grows.

------------------
Andy Mullins

'00 XR650R
'95 CR250

WALKMAN

Oct 11, 2000
hey woodchuck ever thought of going north? one of michigans toughest trails is about six hours north in evart, mi. alot of good riding within an hour of that area, just thought i would promote some tourism!

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Hello Walkman,

Thanks for the input. I have riden a couple of the single track loops just west of the town of "Lake" Michigan. I had an awesome time. The trails were very tight, flat and sandy, a very good time. These must be pretty close to the trails you mention. I will be riding up there this summer for sure.
regards

WALKMAN

Oct 11, 2000
woodchuck, you've gotta try evart, it's a short loop (about 35 miles) if you like tight,rocky,root infested trails it's for you! not many hills only a couple small ones but, it's bikes only. i've ridden it a bunch and every time i take someone there they hug the truck when we return! no. 1 comment is this would be a great trail for one of those steering dampners!

GreenMan

Feb 1, 2001
We rode the trails three weeks ago and they are fun. If you like challanges you can find them here. Bear Wallow is the toughest trail by the maps and we rode almost all of it in two days. All I can say is that we are driving 4 hours one way to do it again on April 6th. We are planning to check out Rockhouse this time as well.

For a trial a little closer you can try Wayne national forrest in southern Ohio. This is about 5 hours from Chicago's south side. It is near the town of Logan Ohio. Take a look on the map and send me an email if you want some more info.

------------------
Tim
---------------------
98 KDX 220 00 ZX 900
94 Polaris 400 4X4
I Bleed Green!

Top Bottom