Attachments

• sparky plug.jpg
    sparky plug.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 273

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Only another couple?

Well then, how many more can I get out of this?
**edit***
image won't replace..linked further down.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Wanna bet?

Of course, there is a story.....;)

On the coast (sea level) in the sand (huge engine loads). Yes, I've been there before and I am not unfamiliar with jetting.

I've run a 160 main in prior dune trips with the -30 pipe, and the bike worked fine. The last trip, however a plug check was a tad lean for my comfort level although well within a 'very good' range. So, this time I put in a 162 just 'cuz.

A plug check when I first hit the sand looked fine (sorta..more later). No detonation (I've heard plenty of that, I know what it sounds like...when it's bad enough to hear anyway), no overheating. As a matter of fact, the bike was running terrific!!

They always do just before they blow up!

My recent suspension changes worked great in the sand where there were problems before, the bike could pull in 6th gear even when it was below its power band!

'This is going to be fun', I said!

Ten miles into a ride (all sand, all scream) there was that definite piston-port-sound.

I got towed.... in the sand (about five miles) by a quad even. Thankfully, too!

Here's the point. I was jetted correctly. I've run for days with leaner jetting on the same setup.

Except for one thing! A spark plug that was over a year old!

That was a mistake. When I looked at the plug (yes, for color) when I first got there, I did see but did not pay attention to the condition of the porcelain. Had I paid attention, I would have realized the condition of the tip was less that satisfactory and would have changed the plug.

Didn't do that.

The plug turned into an ignition source due to its poor condition. Ate stuff. Or maybe it blew up which made a sharpie on the crown that did the same thing.

Note that there is no metal flash on the exhaust, and the head looks fine with the exception of a mark or two from aluminum bits flying around. This happened in a heartbeat once the timed ignition source was defeated.

It was a BR8EG plug. That's a finewire, yes...but not an protruding tip that is a no-no in 2-strokes. An ES would likely have fared better. Heck..the center electrode in this plug is long gone! It's not just blowed off from the insulator fracture...it's missing way down inside the plug.

Lesson learned: Just because the plug is still firing, change it every six months or so anyway. Especially if you're going to max-rpm extended hi-load ops like sand.

If there is another opinion, I'd like to hear it.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I'm not sure I understand. What was the "condition of the tip" and "of the porcelain" that you should have noticed before this actually happened? I've seen many fouled plugs before but never one that started firing out of time(?) and came apart like that.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
In case it doesn't get moved, you might take a gander HERE if you want to see the WHOLE story (yeah.....I just kill myself, 'eh?)

Isn't it cute???!!

I had an intake seizure using h1r on my new-that-season kdx. Peeled the plating right off.

Like forrest said, 'My mamma always said, H1R is like a vacuum cleaner. It sucks!'

**edit**
The condition of the insulator that was telltale was it's porosity. It'd had a hard life for over a year, and it showed. It was not matter of fouling anything. When it went downhill, either a remaining part got hot enough to pre-ignite (pre meaning before sparky-time) or the piston had a protruding part that did the same thing.

Last edited:

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
canyncarvr,

Why throw away a good plug? Just braze a tip back onto the ground electrode and go riding!

I am so sorry! It could have happened to a much less nice guy.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Dawg_enD said:
He's a bit shy. Hasn't worked out how to say what he wants, but hasn't worked out that if he presses to reply, he can just cancel it ;)

Nah, seriously, it's the old advertising posts, which hasn't taken to the new forums but still insists on trying to tell us who we should use (the sponsors). One of the millions of things Okie is working on.

Now, back to the thread - ouch (so was it your wife's quad that towed you back CC?)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Well, yes it was. Her old quad...now owned by someone else (val). So, val towed me back. All things considered (sounds like a radio show?) that's the sort of thing that may very well work out best; having someone other than your spouse pull you for five miles thru the sand. I was very thankful for the tow, for sure! It got interesting a couple of times....;)

Top Bottom