HP and powerband question

Hasdrubal

Jan 3, 2004
Hi, this is my first post here, so tell me if I say or do anything stupid. I would like to know about what kind of HP levels I might get out of a '99 RM250 engine, if I tune it for top end power. Without a big bore kit or serious porting, is 50hp possible? How narrow would the effective powerband become? It's for a custom sportbike, and I hope to get the thing under 200lbs, so I don't think low down torque will be too important. Also, has anyone ever heard of a tach being fitted to one of these engines?

Thanks,
Nick

B

biglou

I'm thinking 42-44 hp for that era motor without any porting/boring, etc. But that's just a guess...

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
yeah big lou sounds about right youll want to maybe look into some type of racing go kart tach.Biggest hurdle for you will be building the pipe I would think.I Always thought a EX250 or EX 500 KAW would be a good recipient of a KX 500 engine.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
50RWHP is possible on the latest motors but it takes alot of work, i would aim for a more realistic 48.

Hasdrubal

Jan 3, 2004
Thanks, guys. If the thing works out well, though, I will probably want more power. I have a turbo from an old Yamaha 650 sitting in my closet, but somehow I don't think it would be a good idea for a two-stroke. Maybe I will have to reconsider boring it out.
Nick

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…