Hub repair - wheel bearing bore wallowed out

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Rear hub on my KX is wobbly after replacing the wheel bearings and using bearing sleeve retainer to take up the ~.005" clearance between the bearing OD and bore. I'll probably try it again but I'm wondering if anybody has had a shop bore the hub oversize and install a steel sleeve instead of replacing the hub? Any recommedations?

Thanks,
Brian

B

biglou

Can you cut some shim stock and place in there? Also, I've heard of electric motor bearings being set with red loctite (271). Although, I'd have to think that the rear wheel bearing of a KX500 would be about as severe a duty as you could have! Just throwing ideas out there...

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I have a few riding buddies that have had the (rear) hub sleeved by a local machinist. I believe that they paid around $35 for the work, and neither reported any further problems.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
Thanks for this thread and all who responded. I bought a used rear wheel for KDX and many KX applications and it has one side of the bearing holder area wore out. I didn't know what to do.

Lorin, what was the sleeve part made of?

Thank you.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…