Huge Suzuki Rm125 Problem!!

Mourty

Oct 21, 2008
OK The Bike is spewing all sorts of nasty things out of the tail pipe and when me and my bud tipped it back...there was 3 ounces of gook and gunk in the exhaust with a lot of smoke to boot. Any ideas why there so much smoke and its spewing a nasty liquid..(this is my first Dirt bike)

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
If it's not the seal, the carb jetting could be WAY rich. Last year my bike was so rich that a 1 hour ride would leave the side panel beside the silencer completely covered with black "spooge".

The silencer is filled with insulation-like packing. Go to the shop, buy some new packing, take the silencer apart and replace the packing.

You should check the jetting first, though - otherwise you're just wasting the new packing because it will get gunked up quickly with that amount of spooge.

But a mnanual for the bike.

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
Also, check starter plunger. If its faulty, it can let a large amount of fuel into the engine. Check float/float level for defect or incorrect height. Are you losing tranny oil? Keep an eye on the oil level. Burning transmission oil has a very distinct odor (It doesn't smell like regular 2 smoke/oil mixture.

Mourty

Oct 21, 2008
what is a starter plunger..soz i have no idea what it is..my first bike

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Mourty said:
what is a starter plunger..soz i have no idea what it is..my first bike

I've had plenty of bikes and don't know either :laugh: I'll take a guess that this is the term used for the choke knob where sandman is from.

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
Yes, it's not really a choke. A choke by definition is a plate in the air cleaner side of carb that rotates and blocks off the flow of air causing a rich mixture for starting. My wifes XR 100 has a choke. I'm not sure about older RM's but I believe most modern MX bikes utilize an enrichment circuit. The plunger is under the little knob which you pull up when starting cold. If the o-ring is damage or leaking or it stick open or partially open, it can give you a rich mixture. If your bike does indeed use a choke, I'd check to make sure it is returning to normal when you turn it off.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Well for ease of explanation I'll stick to the term choke knob just like the 2005 YZ125 manual I have in front of me does.

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
At any rate, I'd go through the carb as you never know what someone else has done or not done to it. I bought a almost new Polaris ATV that wouldn't idle that the previous owner said just needed a tune up.....I figured the pilot was clogged. Upon dissasembly, the pilot was clogged alright, and completely bunged up from someone using the wrong screwdriver to extract it. Also, the float tang was bent so much that fuel just poured out of the bowl overflow tube. A lot of hack mechanics out there so my point is, don't take anything for granted, check everything completely.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Replace the float valve and seat, if applicable. Check the floats and float height. Thoroughly clean the carb. Make sure the stock jets are in there. Check the reeds and replace the packing. A leakdown test will tell you the condition of the bottom end, rule out the right crank seal. If the cylinder has been "polished" it can cause this also, near impossible to get the jetting correct when the intake and exhaust ratios are fubared.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…