Hummer costs less per mile than Civic Hybrid

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
http://www.reason.org/commentaries/dalmia_20060719.shtml

This is ironic. . .

"Spinella spent two years on the most comprehensive study to date – dubbed "Dust to Dust" -- collecting data on the energy necessary to plan, build, sell, drive and dispose of a car from the initial conception to scrappage. He even included in the study such minutia as plant-to-dealer fuel costs of each vehicle, employee driving distances, and electricity usage per pound of material. All this data was then boiled down to an "energy cost per mile" figure for each car (see here and here).

Comparing this data, the study concludes that overall hybrids cost more in terms of overall energy consumed than comparable non-hybrid vehicles. But even more surprising, smaller hybrids' energy costs are greater than many large, non-hybrid SUVs.

For instance, the dust-to-dust energy cost of the bunny-sized Honda Civic hybrid is $3.238 per mile. This is quite a bit more than the $1.949 per mile that the elephantine Hummer costs. The energy cots of SUVs such as the Tahoe, Escalade, and Navigator are similarly far less than the Civic hybrid.

As for Ford cars, a Ford Escape hybrid costs $3.2 per mile – about a third more than the regular Escape. But on the whole, ironically enough, the dust-to-dust costs of many of the Ford non-hybrids – Fusion, Milan, Zephyr – are not only lower than comparable Japanese hybrids – Prius, Accord -- but also non-hybrids – Seville, Civic."

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
the guys on the Jeep forums used to call on a similar article claiming the wrangler was the most efficient vehicle overall from planning stages to recyclability upon death.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Tell that to my wallet next time I fill up my V-8 4x4 :think:

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Brian said:
Tell that to my wallet next time I fill up my V-8 4x4 :think:

No doubt. My truck get 12mpg but I have compared the overall cost of owning it against several other vehicles that interest me and even though they all get significantly better mileage they would cost more to own.

I only drive 12,000 miles a year and I'm not willing to go to a 4-cylinder regular cab mini.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
Do you have the V10 Okie? Mine gets 6mpg towing a trailer or a big wheel and never gets better than 11mpg. At $3.08 a gallon here it is costing me a $120 to fill it. Im just about to squeeze myself into a hybrid.

I did see that they came out with a new Hybrid SUV. I think its a toyota. The cost on it was like 40k compared to the regular one being 28k. It would be hard to justify. I also only gets 3 to 4 mpg better also.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Okiewan said:
My 02 F-250 has 32K miles on it. If it was a daily driver I'd be hurtin'. $75 + to fill it and 12 mpg or so.

Interesting story.

Dayum ... I have 44K on my big truck and it is and '05, nevermind I have piled 18K on my S-10 in the last year as well ...

Of course, my Duramax gets 20+ on the highway :nener:

Rob ... I bet the cost of owning and operating a hybrid goes through the roof if you include hospitalization. :p

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Used to have a 1984 Jetta Diesel and it got about 40-45mpg. Don't need no silly hybrid ;)
My sister just bought a new Jetta D, but don't know yet what shes averaging.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Okie has the 5.4 V-8 in his truck. I have one also in my F-150. I get 12-13 mpg in-town, and around 15 on the highway. I have seen as little as 8 (towing) and as good as 17, though. I usually go through a tank of premium every week. With my part-time job (full time student too) I spend every penny on either truck payment or gas. I'm starting to wonder if it is worth it :think:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
bsmith said:
Used to have a 1984 Jetta Diesel and it got about 40-45mpg. Don't need no silly hybrid ;)
My sister just bought a new Jetta D, but don't know yet what shes averaging.

I hear this will be the last year for the Jetta D. Too expensive to meet pollution standards.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Got to love the EPA! Everyone crying about fuel mileage, and getting of the oil! Yet their standards limit what we can acheive. In Europe the Volkswagons and BMW's have a 1.8litre Diesel that can't met emission regulations and it gets about 60-70mpg. At least from what I have read, yet the car is the size of a Mini Cooper.

So if you get a car like that and run biodiesel, your getting of the oil dependancy, but the EPA don't like the emissions :whoa:

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
usually go through a tank of premium every week. With my part-time job (full time student too) I spend every penny on either truck payment or gas. I'm starting to wonder if it is worth it

But dude, were does that leave you for Beer? I guess your not 21 yet anyway :)
Aren't you close though?

Seriously, As long as it doesn't knock the regular should work fine. I use 86 octane in my truck. Works fine. 140K with no major engine trouble. I might save you a few bucks here an there for other needed stuff. I get 13 to 15 in the city and 16 to 19 on the HWY. Less if I pull something. My truck doubles as a daily. I'd trade it for something else if I could. I want a new bike though so no new hauler it is.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001

I got 27k on the 05 big truck and 36k on the 05 work truck. I cant beat your 20+ on the highway, but I can beat Okie and Bryan's in town mileage when I am towing my "little trailer"

Attachments

• Truck and trailer.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 77

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
My truck is tuned to run on premium fuel, otherwise I would run the cheap stuff for sure! I spend enough on race gas as it is. Sheesh, thats another story!

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Thats a nice rig Darren. Here is my "little trailer," all 6 tons of it!

Attachments

• drnedittrucktrailer2.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 76

Frank

Jul 31, 1999
Has anyone seen the bio-diesel kits being sold by freedom fuels america? I am aware of several fine eating establishments that would rather give me their used cooking oil then have to pay someone to haul it off. I just heard today that Jeep is going to be making a diesel liberty available. I figure between the two I could save a lot on gas.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Zerotact has a Liberty Deisel. Not sure it gets that better of milage but seems to run real good.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…