Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
Me and some of my buddies are plannig a trip to Hungry Valley on May 18-20. There will be about 5 families. I need to know what are the best areas to camp at. We will be driving Motorhomes and would perfer an area that has some room for the kids to ride around close to camp if possible. I would also like some info. on some good trails (we would like to do some woods riding) and info. on any rules/regulations regarding the bikes or camping (fires, fees, etc..). Any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone wants to meet up with us, on any of the days, let me know.

BrentBlain

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
you'll need a spark arestor on every bike. They are pretty anal about that. And they might check the registration at the gate, so make sure you have stickers for each bike just incase.

-Brent

------------------
00 CR250
My webpage
last updated 02-25-01

SLEEZ

Nov 14, 2000
Try Upper Scrub Oaks campground, they have a lot of room for RV parking and flat land around it for the youngsters to ride around.

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
Thanks for the replys everyone. The web addresses were really helpful Speedy but I didn't see any on-line maps that showed details of the trails and campground locations so I e-mailed them for information on getting one sent to me.

------------------

tentbound

Apr 2, 2001
Tree,

Make sure every bike has a spark arrester and green sticker. Be prepared to have these checked at the entrance upon arrival. When you get to the gate pick up a trail map-it shows some of the more popular trails. In the valley the "backbone" trail is real short but pretty fun. Any of the trails from the valley up to Frasier Mtn. or Alamo Mtn are fun and can get fairly tight. Watch-out in the sand wash, the yahoo's on quads like to race down in there. Many kids get hurt there. I used to ride Gorman 25 years ago and have recently started riding there again. It is still one of the best riding locations in SoCal. If you've never ridden there before, you will return- fun place.

------------------

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
Thanks for the info. SLEEZ and Tentbound. I guess I will have to get a spark arrester for my son's yz80. They never did respond to my e-mail regarding getting a map of the area. How far in is the Upper Scrub Oaks campground.

------------------

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Tree- I scanned a copy of the map for ya. If you click on "photo" in my sig line it will take you to the album. Then click on the Riding album.

After you click on the pic enlarge to full size and you can read all of it.

Sorry if it didnt come out to well. I am still learning how to use the scanner

------------------
Photos

[This message has been edited by RMjeff (edited 04-20-2001).]

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
RMJjeff-checked out the map in your post, and it shows up excellent if you go down in the corner and click the largest size.
Tree- I'm trying to convince a couple buddies to make the trek with me that week-end. Have not ridden Gorman in about 12 yrs. Try checking in the visitor center, (if anyone's there), and they sometimes have copies of the map. (My work sometimes takes me there, and I got a copy a few months ago.)

------------------

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
RMjeff- The map looks great. It will help us make our plans.
ktmboy- Let me know if you guys can get up there that weekend. Maybe we can hook up for a few rides. The same goes for anyone else on DRN.

------------------

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Tree- Still trying to work out the details, but it's looking like we might make it out there that week-end. I'll post again about a week before if we're going, so we can hook up for some group rides.:)

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
The race that weekend is a qualifier,thats a cross between a desert race and an enduro.The course will be in hungry valley, its 75 miles, so some of the trails will be shut down on sun .The pits are at Quail canyon.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Tree,
We used to ride Hungry Valley/Gorman 2-3 times per month. We usually parked at Circle Canyon Camp - has some shade & a toilet. I don't care for the campgrounds right off the main road due to dust & no shade.

FWIW - I wouldn't go near Hungry Valley the weekend of the qualifier. Too many people. A friend went with his son a couple of years ago on a 'qualifier' weekend and came back with horror stories - trails closed and lots of very fast, bordline out of control riders.

Brian

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Qualifier?

Hey Brett r,

Sorry I missed your ride at Quail canyon, I had some babysitter problems.
But this Qualifier thing sounds good, I have raced H/S , Grand Prix`s , GNCC, and enduros but havent tried a Qualifier. How is it run and scored? What is the class structure? Is there any info online about this race?
Am diffenitly thinking about giving it a go.

later
mxbundy

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
I have never done one either,I think VCMC may have info on their website or I can fax you a flyer.If it was not for the race I wouldn't go near gorman on a weekend in may.Gorman has more pit racers than anywhere and the lower trails are a zoo.Snowys is an alright trail that does not get very crowded and i like the lockwood valley area,but they will probably run us on the lower stuff, its all really easy and theres not alot of room to pass.

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
I originally planned the date to avoid the Memorial weekend crowd but with the race going on it looks like it is going to be busy anyway. If anyone has any info on the trails that will be used for the race course that would be helpful so I can avoid those areas. I wanted to check out the higher elevation trails anyway. From what brett r said he thinks the race will be mainly on the lower elevation trails. I took Fri. & Mon. off work so maybe I can get some riding in before the crowd gets there. ktmboy- I Don't know how many of my buddies are going. They're seeming a bit flakey right now, but I'll be there. Let me know what you work out. BTW the Hungry Valley Rangers finally reponded to my e-mail and are sending me a map in the mail. :)

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Hungry Valley

Hey Brett r,

Please fax me a copy of the entry to (909) 737-2736. Is VCMC the Vikings? Im not to familiar with the clubs.
Thanks a million,
mxbundy

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
We dont know what trails will be used,but if they only run us on the lower trails 75 miles will use up alot of them. The higher trails are much better and less crowded,if I can get out there sat. maybe we can go for a loop.Bundy i will fax the info tomorrow.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Insider Information

Now fellas, if you woulda joined us 4 the LPNF trail clearing effort a few weeks back U coulda got it from the horse's mouth!

Kris Kudla, who has been and will be laying out the course, was the brave soul that day carrying the chain saw in his backpack - amazing thing is it didn't slow him down either!

I do not want to give away his race but he did say they were going to use the LPNF trails we cleared (Tejon, Gold Hill), probably for connector purposes only.

I left it up to him to post the race's announcement here.

The event is put on by the VCMC. They are a D37 club; contact them thru the AMA D37 website if all is well & up there 2day.

It is an ISDE-qualifier format, AKA typical non-USA enduro. That is, there are special test sections where U check in (then go WFO) & check out. The best (lowest) times get the highest score so long as U do not leave the check in early or late. Between the special tests are trail connectors; go @ your own pace in between.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Tree- I was up at Hungry Valley today, (work related), and the little black flys were horrendous! Bring your bug spray!
It is looking more promising for me to get one or two guys to at least go Saturday, as one of them E-mailedcyesterday to say he got his spark arrestor, and the other one just got a new ride. I'll post again soon!:)
ktmboy---

Top Bottom