Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
hi,, i think i'd like to enter a hare scramble or enduro, but i'd have to go alone and drive 100-200 miles to go to one...

What if i got hurt riding? Would there be someone who could take me to the hospital? and what about all your gear, bike and truck? Anyone who can attend to that?

thanks.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I'm sure that the club puttting the race on would help out however needed. There are usually ambulances there. When I broke my wrist at a race, two guys camped next to us loaded all of our bikes(Mine and both sons), generator, closed the door on our toy box camper, hooked it up to the truck. I have never really worried about going by myself to a race. Maybe I'm just stujpid but I figure someone would haul me to the hospital and take care of my gear.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
North Mississippi is SERA country and I will attest to the fact that in twenty-five or so years of SERA competition we have never left anyone in the woods. And (to my knowledge) no one has yet to find a decaying corpse dressed in riding gear six months after an event.
A couple of years ago at Great Piney Woods (Louisiana) a guy came to the race by himself and broke a femur! The club loaded him in the (required) ambulance, gathered his bike and gear and even drove his motorhome to a safe location nearby at a clubmembers' house. One of the club members even accompanied him to the hospital to lend moral support and whatever other assistance possible.
The closest call that I know of was at Enon, Louisiana in 1987 or so a guy told the cleanup to "go ahead", then tried to find his way back to the camp alone, got totally lost, then crashed and broke his collarbone! This guy had come with his 14 year old son (who was riding with him) and no-one knew he was missing.
That evening when the last few club members were pulling out of the campground someone noticed an extra truck in the pits. Upon further examination there were some number stickers or something that indicated this guy to be a participant. The cleanup guy volunteered that he had passed up someone on the trail and the search was on! But this guy was not on the trail anymore! Getting late now, most of the club has already left, and we don't have a clue where he is! Everyone goes out and by some miracle one of our members stumbles across the 14 year old kid who had to leave dad in the woods and try to find help! But now the kid doesn't know how to get back to dad! All's well that ends well, somehow we deduced where dad was and got him out! After dark!
Two important lessons that day! Competitors; please don't stray from the trail, and if you are on cleanup duty; don't pass anyone up, no matter what they say!
To answer your question; enjoy the race. Don't worry, be happy! The club is there for you.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Last Nov. I broke my collar bone at a Dist.36 enduro put on my the Valley Climbers MC club. I was there by myself. Lucky for me I had just left a check and was only about 2 miles back. A rider that was a couple of minutes behind me stopped to check me out. He removed my bike from the trail and rode back to the check to get a check worker to help get me out of there and to the aid station. Once the check worker arrived he proped my bike against a tree and asked me what happended and if I could ride out on the back of his 00 Husky 410TE? I was ready to get out of there and get a sling on my shoulder. So, I jumped on the back of his bike and rode out of the woods, about 7-10 miles :eek: I new that my bike would be ok, and that it would catch up with me later. As we were headed back towards the staging area a very nice guy and his son stopped us and asked if we needed some help??? We otld them that my bike need to be rode out of the woods. They were not entered in the enduro, they were there to watch a friend race. We told them where the bike was and they said, no problem, they will get it back to my truck for me. After the long trip out of the woods I arrived at the staging area riding double on the Husky. The medic checked me out and said that I needed to get to a hospital....duh!!!!!!!!!!! It was about 30 minutes later my bike showed up. Several club members loaded my bike for me and pack up my riding gear. The medic's said that I could not drive??? I told them that I had to, and that I was there by myself. Lucky for me, I drove my 97 Ford F-250 w/ auto tranny:) My shoulder was supported by the sling, and I threw in a pinch of Copenhagen :D and headed back to Sacramento. I called my girlfriend and my parents to inform them as to what happend. I told them that I would be home in about 2 hours, and for someone to meet me at my house to take my to the hospital. I arrived home around 6:00pm. My parents and girlfriend took me to the hospital to get checked out. I ended up getting home around 2am Monday morning from the hospital. Lucky for me I was still in the Marine Corps and was placed on 2 weeks medical leave. So I sat at home for 2 weeks before returning to work. To make maters worse, I am single and live alone. It was not easy tending to daily tasks, like showers and things of that nature.

The club that put on the race was VERY helpfull in getting me back to my truck, collecting all my gear, loading my bike and seeing that medical attention was given.

I have since went riding by myself, and have meet riding friends at the staging area. I think about it, but I don't let it bother me......

I'm sure you will not have any problems with the M/C clubs in your area...

Rick

Last edited:

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
hey n6, you want to do any sera enduro, you e-mail me & i'll try to hook you up with others from your (our) area who are going, & we'll give you the skinny on what you need to know to do the race. you want to do a mmc hare scramble, e-mail me & i'll make sure you get the scoop on that, too. if you get hurt at any off-road race, somebody will get you & your stuff taken care of.

Trailracer03

Jun 5, 2001
I just had my first harescramble so my opinion might not matter to you but if u get seriously hurt you r still going to be in all of your gear and u can always go back later to get your stuff i go with my step father and his race is right after mine so my mom always wants to come incase i get hurt because she knows my stepfather wont miss his race to getme to the hospital

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
I would like to add the point that I have been doing this stuff since 1967 and have never needed any assistance to get out of the woods.
I did have to ride out with a broken clavicle one time (yes, it hurt like a @#$(^*$) but I did not wish to tie up the ambulance in case someone was really hurt!
Almost forgot about the time I ran across an old friend on the trail with a broken lower arm. I put him on the back of my bike and rode him right out. He never did quite pass out, and somehow refrained from throwing up on me. Good thing for him I had a bad score, or I would have roosted him on the way by!
The president of our club once rode out with a severely broken clavicle (it still isn't quite right) and a seperated shoulder and three broken (not cracked) ribs. The ribs were serious, a punctured lung would be a bad thing!
If you are going to ride enduros, you will be expected to be a man! That goes for the women as well!

BCooper

Aug 9, 2000
Nevada Sixx,
I'm also in North Mississippi and attend most all of the SERA enduros. Unfortunately, there isn't anyone else around Tupelo that regularly contest enduros (lots of hare scramblers though!) I have some buddys up in Memphis, which includes Lawman, that I frequently make the trips with; however, due to logistics, I occasionally end up on the road by myself. I too have concerns about the possibility of getting hurt at a race and then having to get home on my own. I figure there is no need to worry about it, for if and when it happens, I'll manage somehow. Feel free to send me an email or personal message and I'll help any way I can.
Coop

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by justql
When I broke my wrist at a race, two guys camped next to us loaded all of our bikes(Mine and both sons), generator, closed the door on our toy box camper, hooked it up to the truck. I have never really worried about going by myself to a race. Maybe I'm just stujpid but I figure someone would haul me to the hospital and take care of my gear.

I had the same done for me at Pismo. My wife was there but was pregnant and couldn't do much. Dirtbikers / Duners on the whole are good people and will help out a brother in a jam.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Bravo Club Members & Other Volunteers

~15 months ago my middle son got lost from the kid's Sat. enduro course; he sped ahead of me & my youngest. It became troubling when he did not show @ the midpoint checkpoints on the 2nd nor 3rd & final loop (the workers hadn't seen him). Absent back@ camp, no one had seen him since the 1st loop, so I figured he certainly strayed from the course. Man, did word get around fast! There were like 20-30 guys spread out in the open desert, in groups of 2-4.

After an hour of searching, a dad & son team found him on the Sun. adult course, stuck on a hill; the bike had dug in/fallen over on a steep hillclimb, and he was curled up @ a nearby bush, expecting to spend the night there. The first thing he did when found was to get up & hug his rescue crew.

Turns out he ignored a turn arrow (he's spacey-mind @ times), and a spotter's pointing at a crutial turn; he keept going straight until ribbon reappeared, then continued on, alone on the tougher loop.

Later that evening he got the club's Bonehead award - an embroidered hat with various finisher pins from races of old - wearing it proudly (?) in spite of how it was won. (When mom found out upon arriving home, that pretty much ended his competitive entries for the year...)

The club had a special discussion point re: this concern, and has made an effort to add even more arrows on courses.

The moral of the story is there are those quite willing to lend a helping hand if need be, but it is a better to prevent from having to rely on them to begin with; bring others/make friends, & never ride alone nor above your ability.

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
I've got to agree with all the other posts. I race Hare Scrambles in Florida and no matter where you ride or what state your in, everyone involved in the event is either a competitor or a SOON-TO-BE FRIEND.

You have got to remember that dirt bike riders are a strange and protective breed. One of their major identifying characteristics is, STANDING BY AND HELPING ONE ANOTHER WHEN IN NEED.

You have to remember that your not the only one who thinks about getting hurt because it can happen to anyone at anytime. Strange things have happened out on the course during an event that just don't happen all those times when you are out practicing. You have to be prepared and have a contingency plan.

I've taken a number of soil samples myself and know what it feels like. One of the best things you can to is prepare yourself physically. Don't forget your drinking fluids and a tool kit for minor repairs. Talk to the other riders during sign up and before the event and ride with some of the guys and gals you are out there just for the fun of it.

Happy Trails, Ride Smart........

Top Bottom