ktmtom

Jun 5, 2001
I'm a KTM die hard, through and through, but I'm looking at a new 2002 Husaberg FX470E in lieu of a new 2004 KTM 450EXC. I'm well aware of the differences between the bikes in terms of pieces and parts, and I've ridden the KTM, but I'm not as familiar with the new generation Husabergs. I understand they are a bit finiky when it comes to jetting the Del-Orto carb, and don't care much for temperature change. Anyone have experience with the 02, or 03 Husabergs that could give some insight to help sway my decision one way or the other. Guess what it boils down to is, is it worth saving $2,000 to go with the Husaberg and deal with some of it's bad tempered nature, or suck it up and stick to the KTM! Thanks in advance, I'd appreciate any comment, one way or the other!

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
Husaberg is clearly the finest handling 4T made. The handling is incredible, it's fairly stable, it holds a line, and it will cut a line inside most anything. The 470 motor is very strong with lots of bottom and mid range power, and it revs pretty quickly.
fe470e

ktmtom

Jun 5, 2001
That's good to hear. I didn't think you could beat the KTM in terms of handling. Can you report on issues you've had with jetting, or other mechanical issues? Thanks!

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
Mechanical problems have not visited me with the 'berg, but I've heard of plenty of other folks that have suffered problems. Jetting has not been a big problem either. Fuel consumption seems high and I get the occasional stall on steep downhills, but otherwise, I can't complain. One final thought, if you are not a tinkerer and don't care to maintain the bike, don't get the 'berg. I'm selling my 'berg soon, not because I don't like it, just because I want to go back to a 125 (looks like GasGas this time).
fe470e

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
I'm part of a desert team that campaigns Husabergs. We've got a 400, 470, 501 and a couple of 650's in the stable. They are incredible bikes, but not for someone who doesn't like to work on bikes.

They are, essentially, factory race bikes and require about as much care and maintenance between rides. That said, they are incredibly simple and 'clean' when you look at them - there is no superfluous stuff on 'em, just what's needed.

The only mechanical issues we've had were cam followers and bearings (650's and the 400). The shifter on the 501 jammed in 4th during a night race a few weeks back, but was easily repaired in the shop afterwards. Jetting can be fussy. We broke a stock hub several weeks ago, but keep in mind these bikes are seeing some pretty severe use.

They are a joy to ride. The handling is incredible and power is great. The 400 handles like a 125 in tight stuff, the 650's are, well, very, very fast. I actually haven't spent much time on the 470, but the 501 is my favorite.

Check out the Husaberg site for more information: www.husaberg.org. I saw a list somewhere that showed all the improvements for the 04 models and just about every issue we've had was addressed. With KTM manufacturing behind them, hopefully the parts availability problems will come to an end as well.

Unkle Moose

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2001
I love my 02-fe501e, best handling bike I have ever owned. yes they do require more maint but would rather work on the bike then sit on couch watching TV. My previous bike was WR426 and I wanted something a little mellower and lower in the seat. I rode an 01-470 and an 01-KTM520 and felt much more convertible on the Husaberg. I purchased the 501 because the motor is a little bit mellower then the 470, doesn't hit as hard and doesn,t rev out as high.

For info please visit www.husaberg.org it's the best place for info on the Bergs.

Kraig

john1216

Apr 17, 2002
I have an 02 400 Berg and I can only "parrot" what the others have said. I really haven't enjoyed riding this much since I was a kid. Love every aspect of this bike while on the trail.

That being said... I did need help with the jetting as the bike tended to stall and seemed under powerd at higher elevations. It was very rich from the factory. I understand these bikes have been historicaly in a state of "dis-tune" from the factory. I had even heard that Husaberg Sweden was not even in posession of a Dyno!

The bike will need various replacements around 50 to 60 hours. Among these are rockerarm, crankshaft bearing, and counter balancer bearing. I am hoping that with the shift of production from Sweden to Austria, these issues will be adressed. I understand with KTM purchasing behind them, better quality machined internals will be available to them. I hope this is the case because these are truly special bikes.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
i have an 01 FC550 (its the new generation) and so far ive had to replace my stator and coil cause they just up and died and right now i have about 6 broken spokes on my rear wheel. part of the problem is ive been slacking on my maintenance. I never ever checked to see if my spokes were even tight. Ive never even messed with jetting, just tinkered with the fuel screw every now and then. Ive never ridden any other berg, but mine has hella power compared to the jap thumpers, especially torque. I love the bike and if i was in the market for a new one, i would for sure check out the 04 'bergs. but i bet you can get a hell of a good deal on an 02!

Chris-NJ

May 26, 2000
gotta love them bergs! i don't have much to offer, other than they were the pioneers in the 4T bikes, and probably got a little bad rap in the beginning. i had the then new generation motor in a '97 FE400E and obsolutely loved it, wish I still had it. 4T's are tough to ride tight 1st gear stuff hear in NJ/PA and hench i went to a 2T, but for more open races, i wish i had my berg back, or better yet a new one! i had carb problems but mostly because it was used, once i went to stock jetting she ran great. berg also got a bad rap i think cause when they (high performance 4T's) had to come apart, they were a lot more money than a 2T, but guess what?? all the new 4T owners that have bought all the new stuff are finding the same thing!!! LIVE ON HUSABERG!

Top Bottom