Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
Im considering getting a Husaberg for riding in the woods around NW and Central Oregon. I know the newer 05's are great bikes but getting another loan is out of the question and I don't want to sell off any of my newer bikes. Therefore, I'm looking at older ones like a 97 FE501 for example. Are ther better years than others and what are the short commings and problems you have faced. I don't have a dealer problem as I have two of them within 50 miles and I do all of my own work including suspension and complete engine rebuilds.

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Britt Boyette said:
I tried that but, if you have Hotmail like I do, you can't get in and join.

Hmm, did not know that. So you can't even search the forums there??

There is tons of info there, I've never even ridden one but have been threatening to buy one for years and so have been reading that forum just as long. You may also try Thumpertalk, they have an "Exotics" forum where a lot of the .org members also post.

There were lots of problems w/ the starters in '02. It could be that a '97 model is more reliable than the '01-'02 edition.

I don't know much of anything about the older bikes, but I've not heard too many bad things about the '00 model year. A big update from '99 to '00. Not sure about your part of the world but in NM and AZ you can find a used Berg for a song if you look long enough. Resell is obviously not good, you see them languishing for months on Cycle Trader.

I imagine you could pick up an '00 for about $2,000 to $2,500, that would be my choice, but I've zero first hand experience/info on these bikes. Don't see too many Husaberg owners here....

Hope this helps.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Hick, I had no idea you considered big yellow.
The old school husabergs have limited parts availability.
Jump into the GayTM era and you might find more interchangeability.
No slur, or no sir..
Still waiting for husaberg to return to a link suspension before I buy.

schwim

Nov 16, 2001
Hi Britt,

If you'll send me an email to webdude[at]husabergREMOVE[dot]org, I'll set the account up for you and mail you your log in information.

thanks,
json

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
SFO said:
Hick, I had no idea you considered big yellow.

Oh yeah, ever since the '00 bikes came out. Whenver I'm in PHX I stop by Premier Motosports and look at the bikes. I came very close to buying a FC 600 w/ the aux. subframe fuel tank. Light thumper, 6 speed, seemed like the perfect bike for the dez.

But I've never been able to pull the trigger. There are lots of benefits to owning a more popular machine like a YZ or CR. Resale, for one thing. Getting ready to sell my '03 CRF, here in El Paso this is hard enough. Good luck reselling something as exotic as a Berg around here. Wide availability of OEM and aftermarket parts, lots of free advice and mods etc.

For example, I don't know of any aftermarket (Acerbis, Clarke) 3+ gal. tanks for the Berg. If the (hard to find) subframe aux. tank doesn't work out I would have a hard time racing the Berg. And, based on the many KTMs I've had the opportunity to ride, the linkless rear suspension does not help.

Still and all, I'd be just as inclined to buy yellow as orange.

Top Bottom