ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
I am thinking seriously about purchasing a husaberg. I ride hare scrambles and do some play riding. The terrain that I ride is mostly tight woods. Which husaberg is best is my question.....

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I had a 94 1/2 501.
Dale Lineaweaver built it.
Kalitude in el sobrante, do you know Dale?
54 rear whl hp. It is a whole lot lighter than my wr426.
We have the rear wheel all the way forward in the swingarm, and that has made it easier to get through the trees.
Having Dale jet the bike made the power extremely linear. This has become a light, quick, good turning trail bike.
Beware they still have a Maicoesque fit and finish.
Parts prices are astronomical, piston kit is 350.00 retail.
The husaberg is a great alternative, if you are ready to wrench.
I consider the 501 to be a pussycat if it is set up properly.
Bill

Chris-NJ

May 26, 2000
which berg?

I've got a '97 FE400E, first year with the counterbalancer and oil pump. I love the bike, and do everything with it, but in the really tight (NJ,PA,NY) woods enduro stuff, it nearly pulls my arms out of their sockets with all the torque. I can't imagine what another 100 or so cc's would do!!! If your going to be doing any tight racing stick to the smaller cc bikes. Reciprocating mass makes a big deal too, the bigger the crank the harder it's going to be to move the bike back and forth. My 400 is perfect, any more would be a handfull in the East.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Kalitude,
Tell Dale that you know big Bill.
He is a friend of the family.
We should do a Stoneyford/Middlecreek wknd.
We have a great group of guys to ride with and the women of the group are always excited to have new companions.
Small world with the Dale thing, give him my love, and tell him I am waiting to make his big twin throttle body.
Bill

efi

Jul 23, 2000
I ride a 1996 FE501. It's a great bike.
I usually ride very tight woods trails and this bike is really nimble compared to any 4-stroke. I don’t feel it's too powerful (once you get used to it).
The only thing that you have to get used to is the fact that these bikes have a very light crank, flywheel weight and clutch which means that this bike stalls easily if you're not on the gas (this is no XR). ;)

TGR

Apr 1, 2001
I've got a '96 FE501. I do mostly tight woods riding. It can be a little intimidating until you get used to it. BTW, it's for sale in the for sale forum.

Tom

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
It is my opinion that the 501 is easier to ride in its current guise than my wr426.
The power is more linear, it is way lighter, and it turns better with the rear wheel moved forward.
This comparison is all I have, hope it helps.
This particular motorcycle has been ridden quite a bit.
It has consumed...
2 pistons
1 ignition
1 crank rebuild
1 cyl head rebuild, guides, valves, springs
1 gearbox complete with shafts(1500.00 ouch)
It is a bit more labor intensive than a ktm...
Dale is a super resource for building and tuning.
email me and I will give you his #.
When I first started riding it, it seemed to have little flywheel effect.
Compared to the yz/wr it has the flywheel of a steam engine.

Last edited:

HUSAFREEK

Jul 21, 2000
I had a 1994 FC600 and now I have a 1998 KX250, the KX is easier to start cold but otherwise they are about equal on the trail. On a long ride the FC's seat was actually more comfortable and when the trail opened up there was no contest, the Husaberg would run away from the KX. I really did not notice the weight of the Husaberg. By the way I am looking at buying another Husaberg, although I will probably keep the KX.

Top Bottom