hva 125 Cr

Dec 23, 2008
Hi folks! can you help me pleas! I have restored a -83 125 Cr (air-cooled) for racing in vmx and vintage enduro. It has a decent top end power but the middle and low range is zero I mean it is completely dead. When I was testing it for the first time after breaking it in I just laft for my self I thought this must be a joke. It screamed like mad on the straits with good power. But when I try to pull out of corners or small uphill’s it is like someone is pushing the killer button. I have to kick down two gears quickly to get it in “crazy range” again otherwise I have to jump of and push it up. The engine setup is: SEM ignition with 16 deg. Adv. Piston with flat top for an LC engine gives less comp ratio (how bad?). The engine is in fare shape with new piston and bearings. Any ideas what I can do to make it more competitive

Merry Christmas to you all! Henrik

Last edited:

hva 125 Cr

Dec 23, 2008
It is all stock. Mikuni VM 38. It had 45 pilot and 450 main from beginning but it was not good so I changed to pilot 35 and main 470. It runs a little rich on top when it’s summer and over 20 degrees. I will try with 460 later. The needle is somewhere in the middle don’t remember which clip it was.
/Henrik

Last edited:

tommie d

Sep 26, 2008
Go back to the original motoplat ignition. Lengthen the exhaust pipe 20mm at it's widest point. Refer to the Husqvarna Service Bulletin 8-110 for more tuning instructions (mods)

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
I would work on several fronts at the same time.

- Try and get hold of the original ignition and set it up exactly as stock. - Also strip and clean up the carb, replace air filter, check intake manifold for cracks, replace manifold gasket. Replace head and base gaskets.
- check compression and compare to what it should be for that model. The symptoms you describe sound like a worn cylinder. I had a similar issue on an 01 Husky 125. Even with full top end rebuild it was completely gutless until you screamed it. It turned out to have a wear line in the cylinder chrome, tiny but enough to lose compression. On a steel bore this would be even more likely. It was like a different bike when I got it sorted out.

Good luck. I'd love to restore an 83 Husky 125 or 175, it would be a dream twinshock fun bike. Hope you get it running to its full potential soon. :cool:

Top Bottom