OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Whew, finally got my jetting squared away!
Now that the motor works I discover that on flat ground I have to hook for gears about every second or so. Ya know,
zoot-zoot-zoot-zoot etc... I like to roll 'em on a just little more.
Seems like top speed would be around 60-70 mph.
With a six speed transmission.... well, do the math.
Am I missing over-rev (there is none) or just geared too low?
The factory gearing is 48/15. Mine is 49/13.
Has anyone tried this kind of setup?
I'll prob. never go much faster than 45 mph, but it seems like when changing ratios that uh... :think: more is less!
My ankle's tiiiired... waaah!

pcahbrown

Nov 22, 2003
go back to stock

Hi This bike has so much torque i would go back to the 15 48 gearing. when i got my 360 it had be used as a motorcrosser and the gearing was 13 48, the bike would rev out quick but i would be reaching for another 2 gears . Great if you want to go 70kph and get there fast but crap it you intend to go trial riding to 3 hours. this bike will pull harder than a 14 year old school boy in any gear. and if you have a too lower first gear you are going to have a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground
Cheers Paul

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Intrestingly enough, first gear is so low that it's time to shift before the front wheel has a chance to get out of control.
I had a DR 650 that I geared down like that and It actually had the effect of having LESS power than before. I guess you spend so much time out of the throttle (shifting) that you can't keep the power to the back wheel.
Hmmm..... guess I've answered my own question haven't I?
I'll spend a little more time following the JR50 and see if I could keep from running up his backside with a little more counter sprocket. (I'm thinkin' 16).

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
I'm getting a little concerned,
I've discovered that stock gearing on the '92-'99 models was 13/48.
Mine is 13/49, that shouldn't make a considerable difference. Of course I never rode the stock bike, but I doubt it was geared too low from the factory (at least not too, too low). Coupled with the fact that I've jetted leaner and used a much hotter plug (still black) just to get it running halfway right I'm begining to think something else is going on here. I guess I'll have to be patient and save the hand wringing unil I've had a chance to put some hours on the bike. I just hope the hours don't compound any possible trouble. But how is it that the bike ran in this area for 8 years with stock jetting and now she's baulking?
Oh well, I digress. Anyhow, I'm keeping the bike and it's gonna be right before all is said and done!

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Your bike has been geared down some. I checked in my manual (for the '02) but same motor, tranny and I had a 93 360 also. 15/48 is your stock from the factory for the 360. 13/48 is for the WR250 and CR250. 15/48 will be plenty tall with a still low 1st gear but I liked the 15/50 on the 93. I'm at 14/48 now on the '02 and it seems fine also. Try a 15 front and I think you'll like it a lot better. Let us know how that works.
Bob

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Yea, I guess I'll give it a try....
The thing now is, I'm not gonna have enough adjustment to fit the 15 with the chain I've got. Do you think adding one link (or would it be two?) is gonna create a rough spot in the overall chain? I guess master links are as good as any other part of the chain. The Husky dealer seemed a little hesitant about one link. Maybe he just didn't have any links?
At any rate, I'm thinkin' about layin' low till the weather gets a little more consistent. Trying to tune the bike by riding it around the back yard once a week might be making me see ghosts.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
While my 360 is modified, I run 15-45 gearing with no problem. I switch to 14-45 for tight trails. The bike has so much torque that the stock gearing is stupid.

Chris

Top Bottom