COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
I recently purchased a 93 Husqvarna WXE 360 (2 stroke). I got it off ebay from an area cycle dealer with very little knowledge of its history. I hate jumping in to a used bike like this but for $1500 I figured I couldn't go too wrong. On the surface, everything looks ok, not beat up. No mods, all original stuff, etc. My first ride, the bike started after about 4 kicks. With choke on, the idle was a little on the high side but nothing scary. The first 30 minutes of riding, everything seemed fine. I was really happy with the power delivery.
Then the problems began.
The bike started idling real high, like when your gonna run out of gas. Initially, I go for the reserve tank but I know it has a near full tank. This bike has a large tank with a dual petcock( I assume to drain the tank) but no reserve. The other thing I noticed was an air bubble in the gas line. The tank petcock sets below the carburetur inlet so the gas has to flow up the line to get to the carburetur. Isn't that gonna make the gas bubbly going into the carb? When it was running you could see the air bubble breaking up and getting sucked into the carb.
I hit the drain position and the air bubble disappeared but the bike kept doing the same thing. The idle adjustment screw appears to do very little when adjusted in or out. The air speed screw has little effect on the idel either. I checked for air leaks and there does not appear to be any. I know very little about jetting a bike. But shouldnt that be ok if it ran fine before with good power delivery? This bike still starts fine but still idles out of control.
Any suggestions?

bikeguy

Sep 3, 2002
I had a "92 360. That is my favorite motor of any bike I have ever owned. It sounds like you have an air leak. I would suggest pulling the carb, cleaning it, setting the float a little higher so that the bowl has a tad more fuel in it, and make sure the clamps are snug.

Enjoy your bike!

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Thanks for your input bikeguy. I do know that the bike sat in the shop since the summer. I will clean the carb and check the float level. Should I not be worried about the air bubble in the line? I think I will replace the petcock with one that offers a reserve tank just for the peace of mind of having a reserve and a different petcock. Would the air back out of the carb into the line? I never really looked at my other bikes to see if there was any air in the lines, but on them the petcock is well above the carb inlet. Do other bikes have this setup? This tank has to be at least 3.5 gal. but I'm fairly sure its the stock tank for the WXE.

Top Bottom