holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Well, I finally picked up this bike today and it turns out that it's the '79 390 OR (not the CR I expected). Which is just as good for me, if not better. Here are some pics - the gas tank needs paint, but there's not even a single little ding in it. Of course, it needs assembly. The rear shocks seem to be Curnutts (there are no external reservoirs) - they may not be rebuildable (shafts seem too rusty), but the forks seem rebuildable. But it was free (and it's still registered) so I can't complain.

Attachments

• 390OR_1.jpg
    390OR_1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 683
  • 390OR_2.jpg
    390OR_2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 711
Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
holeshot said:
But it was free (and it's still registered) so I can't complain.

Hey Ron.

Didn't anyone ever tell you, sometimes free is too much. :whoa: :laugh:

Nice find. :cool: Looks like a fun project. Those kerplunks are worth more than you paid for the whole bike. Oh, that's right, you got it for free. Even better. ;)

Check on the District 37 site. There was a thread on there a couple of months ago talking about someone that is rebuilding Curnutt shocks.

If you need any help with restoration services like paint, plating or powder coat, let me know I have some good resources in the area.

One more thing. That engine looks a little too big for that Razor scooter. :yikes:

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Those are some clean parts! judging from the pics, that bike has very little time on it! ... great find!

The shock shafts will clean-up just fine, sand paper to emery cloth... new seals, gtg.

Keep us posted with the progress! :cool:

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
If you want to rebuild the Curnutts , I have a guy who can strip, rehard chrome the shafts and grind back to size.
But from what I understand the Curnutts are only good to use as spring holders! :rotfl:
Ohlins would be the setup.
When you get it fixed, come out and play with us.

CALVMX.com

bundy

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Agreed! non rebuildable, OHLIN all the way!
mxbundy said:
If you want to rebuild the Curnutts , I have a guy who can strip, rehard chrome the shafts and grind back to size.
But from what I understand the Curnutts are only good to use as spring holders! :rotfl:
Ohlins would be the setup.
When you get it fixed, come out and play with us.

CALVMX.com

bundy

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Well..I got this thing together and it starts and runs, but I've run into a little problem with the exhaust pipe. It seems that the OR and WR models came with a double walled pipe (quieter and heavier) but after 30 years ,the inner wall is coming apart. I've dumped out the pieces below --- some came out when I first got it, 1 more came out after I started it and ran it for a few minutes (and 1 more large piece remains floating around inside the pipe). The pieces will just keep coming off inside, so the pipe is basically junk and any other OR/WR pipe of this vintage is only worth it's weight in scrap metal.

Looking for a '79 CR pipe (single wall and lighter). Pic of pieces below

Oh yeah, the bottom pic is a genuine Preston Petty front number plate/toolbox that was an aftermarket part in '70's - pure junk now ... but I've kept it as memorabilia :laugh:

Attachments

• exhaust inner bits.JPG
    exhaust inner bits.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 481
  • Preston Petty number plate.JPG
    Preston Petty number plate.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
holeshot said:
Well..I got this thing together and it starts and runs, but I've run into a little problem with the exhaust pipe. It seems that the OR and WR models came with a double walled pipe (quieter and heavier) but after 30 years ,the inner wall is coming apart. I've dumped out the pieces below --- some came out when I first got it, 1 more came out after I started it and ran it for a few minutes (and 1 more large piece remains floating around inside the pipe). The pieces will just keep coming off inside, so the pipe is basically junk and any other OR/WR pipe of this vintage is only worth it's weight in scrap metal.

Looking for a '79 CR pipe (single wall and lighter). Pic of pieces below

Oh yeah, the bottom pic is a genuine Preston Petty front number plate/toolbox that was an aftermarket part in '70's - pure junk now ... but I've kept it as memorabilia :laugh:

hey I know where you can get a new one!

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I guess I'll post some pics of it assembled so far. I took the pipe off now and I'm still missing the rear brake rod.

The bike starts and runs, but it isn't fast (my KX125 could kick it's ass) - probably because of the metal pieces that keep coming off inside the pipe and plugging things up (ya think?). It has great compression - you need to start it almost like a large bore 4 stroke. The ignition puts out a fat blue spark. It takes about 7 -10 kicks to start cold and 1 or 2 when warm. The top end as never been apart.

Yes, that is the original plastic and seat. The tires are at least 25 years old and still hold air. The rear is a 17" (OR and WR came with this size).

As far as the "Optimal ratio" gear ratios, the information I have is contradictory. It's saying that the CR and OR ratios are the same, with the 390 OR having 1 more tooth on the CS sprocket. Doesn't make sense.
I have the original owner's manual and 390 OR supplemental insert, as well as other, scanned, 79 390 exploded parts diagrams from the internet (but the latter diagrams are murky). There is a sheet that lists the different parts for the OR (vs the CR), and it doesn't list any different gears - just a different CS sprocket. Far different from "the first 3 gears from the WR and final 3 from the CR" stuff I've been hearing about the OR.

There's still a ton of stuff that needs to be replaced ..... I'll post new pics later.

Attachments

• 79390ORHUSKY1.JPG
    79390ORHUSKY1.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,094
  • 79ORHUSKY2.JPG
    79ORHUSKY2.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,045

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
The OR gearbox was the lower 3 gears from the WR and the upper 3 from the CR, this was to use higher geared sprockets without burning the clutch to start out. I had a 78 model OR 390 and loved the curnutt shocks, they were very plush and got firmer the faster you rode. There was a how-to on a Washington state vintage website although the link I have is dead. They were rebuild able with common O-rings and ATF.
Some info from '78 or'79, can't remember which
HuskyInfo1.jpg

Dale

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
That's the same info that I have on the front of the supplement card (more info is given on the back).

If you look at the link below.. it appears that only the 250 OR had different ratios for the first three gears...oh wait ...the supplement card posted above says that the tranny ratios for the 250/390 are the same, only primary and secondary ratios are different. I'm so confused... I think there's been a misprint somewhere.

https://www.halls-cycles.com/Catalog/PDF/Husqvarna .PDFs/1966-1979/79_all_models.pdf

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
In that time frame Husky parts were pretty much interchangeable, I took a 250CR gearset and used it to replace my 430XC ruined set. The lower three gears were different in the two sets.

I just went through the PDF and found it funny that the 250OR spare parts lists the three gear changes (p.58) but not the 390. I had a '78 390OR and have an '80 390CR as well as an '81 430XC and the gear ratios are different between the CR and the OR/XC models.

Dale

Last edited:

Top Bottom