sean sexton

Jul 9, 2003
This is Jeff Sexton, my son registered today and now I can't sign on under my own name. Go figure! Anyway, the problem.....

My son races a Husky CR50SLC in D-17 Hare Scrambles. It's a rippin little bike, but eats up clutches. Not just shoes, but hubs too.
We have a week off between races so I though I'd go over the bike. Good thing, the clutch hub's got a badly worn bushing in it. The local shop tells me the bushings are back ordered since May and they have a hub (with bushing) on order since June 23. It sounds like they might not have one before the next race on the 20th.

I know other makes use the Morini motor, but don't know which brands specifically. Do the LEM, Polini, ATK, use the same liquid cooled engine as the little Husky? If so, I think my chances of finding parts gets considerably better. Any suggestions?

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
The Cobra CH2 and LEM use the morini S6 motor. I don't remember off hand what version of the motor The Huskies use. I thought that we dropped a cobra clutch in the Husky but I seem to remember we used the stock clutch basket. The bushing that is wearing out is the one in the center of the basket? Since husky got out of Mini's parts might really become scarce.

Can you measure the OD of your crank, the ID of your clutch basket and the depth of your basket? I can see if the Cobra bushing matches up. Its just a bronze material. You could probably have a decent machinest make one no problem. Ask around at the track and someone knows someone with a lathe in their shop.

Do you know why you are eating clutches? How heavy is your kid. How often do you change the oil and what do you use?
Some of the trail riders I know adjust the clutch to hit earlier so they don't slip as much. It makes the bike bog a bit but clutches last longer. Have you tried other clutches? We took the KTM SR arbor and modified some Cobra clutches to work on them and they last a LOT longer now. The Cobra material hits harder and lasts longer. But they cost more too? If you have an extra arbor I could see if I could modify it to work with the Cobra Clutches.
Unless your classes are bone stock classes???

sean sexton

Jul 9, 2003
How about I start with the last question first. Yes, they are supposed to be stock classes. If the truth were known, we're probably the only ones out there who actually are.

I don't know what engine the Husky has or even how to go about finding out. All I know is it says Morini right on the cylinder. Do they make more than one liquid cooled 50? Anyway, the crankshaft is .590, the clutch hub is .706, and the depth of the bushing is .532. All measurements are in thousandths of an inch.

Surely, the Husky machine doesn't have a one of kind clutch. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Once again, NOT Sean Sexton, but his dad Jeff. Sure wish I could figure out how to fix this! Okie where are you?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Jeff, if the Franco Morini motor in the Husky shares the LEM crap design clutch, like I think it does, there's a new 3 shoe clutch like the Cobra/Polini Clutch. It's made here: Bob's Cycles LEM after 5:00 pm 618-667-1969.

Web site: http://www.bobscycleslem.com/

Initial reports are positive. Also, LEM plans on a revised 3 shoe for 04 that will legally retrofit to 02/03 LEM's for AMA racing, and they may be here already. I think TWS imports them as an upgrade.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
the only liquid cooled morini is the S6C. So if your says morini then that is what it is. But the huskies I have seen have a different design clutch similar to the cobra. The lem, Cobra CH2 and Cobra PW3 have a clutch you adjust from the side. So I don;t think they have the morini clutch.
The Huskies 3-shoe have a wahsher stack.
The "hicks" design clutch for the lem is basically the arbor modified for the cobra clutches. It works super sweet. There is a lot of info on the LEM clutch at www.peeweepower.com he has a lem forum.

Jeff Sexton

~SPONSOR~
Sep 7, 2001
The Husky clutch is a three shoe adjustable clutch that you adjust through a hole in the clutch side cover. Don't know much about it except I think the service manager said it was a two stage clutch. He also said it 's nearly impossible to set up without a special tool.

I'd replace the whole clutch assembly if that's what it takes to get the kid back in the race. Thanks for the info, I'll try the LEM site.

Top Bottom