dwarf66

Mar 17, 2005
Does anyone know if you really need the pullers to split the cases and separate the crank/bearings for a 79 Husky 250 or will a mallet/block of wood work like the Suzuki cases. I did a CZ and definitely needed a puller for that one. Thanks
Marc

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Never done a Husky, so I don't have the exact answer, but it is so easy and inexpensive to make a good case puller, I wouldn't even try to split cases without one. If your case takes two bolts, use a $9 harmonic balancer puller. If three bolts, buy a $10 steering wheel puller. Then you generally need really long metric bolts and washers to go through the pullers into the case. I gave up finding those locally and bought metric all thread, cut it into appropriate length pieces and double-nutted one end to use against the puller.
Once the cases are split, I use a socket to knock the bearings out of the case. If stuck on the crankshaft, I might use a gear puller or hammer. Depends. If you remove bearings like this, though, you'll want to install new ones.
I split several cases using chisel and hammers when I was young. I simply won't risk ruining a case like that any longer (except a deadblow sometimes does help get things started a bit).
Hope this helps, but as I said, never worked on a Husky.

Top Bottom