blgrassick

Apr 24, 2004
I have a 2004 husky CR250 which has 45mm marzocchi forks and sachs shock. I'm approx. 200ib and I'm finding the suspension too soft. I mainly race B- Grade motocross.
stock spring rates are :

Forks- 0.45kg/mm
Shock- 5.2kg/mm

The forks are the main problem so I had them revalved by the local dealer. They changed the midvalve a lot, from a single tapered section to a large tapered section on top of a single tapered section. They also said to use 5wt oil instead of the stock 7.5wt oil. This hardly made any difference at all. I also noticed that there is a lot of clearance around the damper rod, is this normal, or should it be sealed better like the KYB forks. Any info would be great.
Thanks.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Husky,blgrassick: Id be questioning the tuners mod on the mid valve as it sounds like he went to a 2 stage mid valve and could possibly have made your forks softer in the process, stages can suck esp on mid valves that float, and much rather favor a straight mid valve for durability and consistency issue .I always thought cartridge seal loose but dont think they leak when theres downward pressure on shaft. Youd rather see changes more on the base valve, also much easier espescially for a larger guy like yourself and espescially if not setting up for rocky enduro terrain also much easier to go back in and experiment.Preload or spring it a bit firmer if youre ride height is not right and then Tweak further maybe like 46 springs with some preload on front forks and a 5.4 on rear then you wont have to run so much preload on rear spring.Spring the bike properly first If you do work to the shock you should have the shaft /clevis threads loctited real good as Ive seen them come loose and come apart more than once or twice on those brand shocks. If youve got the forks off and are greasing the steering head bearings you might want to check if they still put a slit in the triple clamps center post/shaft. Husky used to put it there so water would evaporate if caught in the frame. butr what sometimes happens is the fuel and water get down into the center and go through the slit and corrode your bottom steering bearing in no time flat . Bearings and seals are like $60 . We were using large electrical shrink wrap or just wrapping real well with electrical tape then drilling and tapping a grease fitting on the frame and lubing with a grease gun . Maybe you alrready know this if youve had other current Huskys. Good Luck

blgrassick

Apr 24, 2004
Thanks for your reply, Deansfastway,
It has been difficult to find correct spring rates for husky's as many sites don't include these bikes in their spring rate chart. The race tech site recommended 0.45 fork springs, thats why I have tried to stick with them. But they are too soft. Also the aftermarket fork springs I have look at are slightly larger in diameter and rub inside the fork a little bit. I'm not sore that any aftermarket companies make a special spring for these forks as most just use 46mm KYB sized fork springs. This is my first husky so I appreciate any other advice. I had a CRF450 before this but kept wearing it out and the local husky dealer gave me a good deal on the this one.

Top Bottom