Mar 3, 2004
Okay, ive read alot of hub bub about how four strokes are kinda a fad. seems alot of people find them a pain in the ass to work on, expensive, heavy and generally over rated. I see alot of threads about "yea i had a yzf/crf/ktm/xxx brand 450F and it was heavy, didnt lean into turns, a bitch to start and all of the other things... has anyone made the switch to fourstroke and honestly prefer it to the new 2 strokes that are out? and if you do...why?

With that out of the way, the reason i ask is because i look at the new '04 husky TC450 and it seems like an awesome deal. All quality parts (brembo brakes, quick access filter, excel rims, ect) for pretty damn cheap (5800 OTD) But im a bit scared of valves and cams...and they really seem like more maintnence, and for as much riding as i do (every three days or so) i think i would need a new top end pretty often.. any comments? Im scared of the horror stories of these guys grenading their top ends on the 4 bangers... i cant afford that crap

The other bikes im considering is the 300EXC. Everyone says its "as fourstroke as a two stroke gets" but way lighter and easier to handle in the tight stuff. The thing is.. i dont know if a EXC can be made to handle MX jumps, and its pretty porky itself at 231lbs (as weighed ready to go with no fuel by Dirt Bike) Suspension is really half the battle to going fast.. so i dont know what to do. I hear good things about this bike, but i hear that about almost all bikes.

And finally im also considering the KTM 200SX. Everyone that has one raves about it (just like they do with the 450F's and 300EXC @#$%#$^&!) It seems to be a nice little bike but i dont know how it will do with SAND! i do a bit of riding in sand and i know that eats up horsepower, but weight wise its light as a feather and its got a good bit of power compared to a 250F and 125's. I rode a stock WR250F and i was very, very disapointed, but i hear they suck stock and all corked up. So i just dont know about the little bikes..

I currently ride a heavily modified '99 KX250, and i ride the piss out of it, but i find that it feels heavy to me, either due to the age of the bike, the actual weight, or the power delivery... but i can ride the piss out of it and am very fast. I am 155lb's normally clad in cloths, and 5'7, and although i sound light, i dont have a problem with powerful bikes... i just wonder if i could go faster on a smoother one, or lighter one. I ride tight trails and motocross, and i want to get into enduro's and hare scrambles.

opinions guys? they would be greatly apreciated.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Sounds to me like you have a real delima going.. ALL THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION: Yes, the Formula design modern 4 stroke motor certainly requires more maintenance then the XR's of old. However, you are doing yourself a HUGE disservice if you dont get a ride on a CRF450 - NOTHING SHORT OF AWESOME and maybe after riding one you would find that the extra maintenance wouldnt be that big of deal for the ride you recieve. The EXC300 at 231 pounds is NOT out of line. THat is only a couple pounds heavier then the CRF450 and the EXC has lights!! You would find that the EXC does have more bottom end then your KX but I think your KX has a more versatile suspention.
The 200 is closer in nature to a 125 and you being fast on your KX 250 will probalby find yourself out of motor quickly on the 200 - especially on the low end!
As far as the Husky goes, it is a Euro bike and they have their own "feel" - some like them and some dont. I would ride one BEFORE I bought one if I were you. ALso check out parts costs and availability - some of these Euro bikes are WAY expensive on high turn parts!!
With you being used to the POW of a Modded 99 KX250 you would certainly find the stock wr250 Yam a pig!! Have you tried a YZF250 yet? If you are certain that you want to go DOWN in power, the YZF250 makes, BY FAR, a better woods bike then the WR. Of course that new electric start button is a plus - especially if your over 40!
Woodsy

Mar 3, 2004
I just dont know about the weight of those new four strokes, i really need to test one.. i rode my dad's KTM 400EXC and it was really nice but i didnt push it at all, it was just on a dirt road. ugh this is driving me nuts. the thing is i think the KTM 200SX would be pretty good in the twisties and good traction, people say its got power exactly like a 250F. I think part of its charm is that its light weight and not over whelming power. I think the 300EXC is out of the question because its just too much of a dog. Right now its between the 450F's and the 200SX. You can make MX bikes enduro, but its hard to MX enduro bikes. I just need that suspension. i gotta figure out which is easier to go fast on, being that im relatively light and agressive rider.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
Have you thought about a 300 MXC ? =Also isn't the husky an e-start - of course I don't know that you could MX the Husky

The KTM 300 MXC is no Dog- Maybe you think the EXC is a dog because of the flywheel /lighting coil and the gearing. Your desire to ride tight trails and motocross, and you want to get into enduro's and hare scrambles, sounds like the MXC was built for just that type of life..

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Close Case - have you actually ridden the 300 EXC? I have and they are FAR from being a "dog"! THEY FLY!!! Not only that, but they DO have an AWESOME bottom end - they pull REAL HARD before coming on the pipe!!
I see some REAL good deals right now on NEW KX 250's - maybe a brand new KX is what you need!!

robbaker450

Jun 29, 2003
Adapting your riding style

I have ridden these modern 4t for 3 years and have just got a new 04 kx250 2t.2 questions for you
1. Can you adapt your riding riding style to a 4t.Believe me that the faster you ride the more you have to be careful as the front end has more weight bias.
2.Can you adjust the valves,set up cam timing,replace cam chains etc etc etc.

A friend of mine recently brought a 450 4t and is now going to lose money changing back to a 2t because he is 25% slower
on a 4t just like me.Some people can adapt and some cant...
Also ask about how many hours riding before a crank rebuild $$$$$.Do research to make an informed decision and ride as many bikes as you can...

bud

Jun 29, 1999
the tc450 is an mxer. It would probably make a great trail bike too. But like any big 4t, won't be the ideal bike for tight trails. If you are considering huskies and 2 strokes, check out the husky 04 wr250's. There's reasons why you may not want a husky eg parts availabilty (tho I've never had any trouble), and resale value... but they can't be beat for suspension and handling as a stock bike imo.

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
I wouldn't call the 300 a dog or porky :debil: . Its ready to ride at 227 lbs, thats lighter that the new mx 4-strokes! If you look at some off-road shootouts, you will find that the 300 beat everyone. It was the smoothest, had the most power, and was the lightest.
Also, I woouldn't even compare a 250f to a 200. The 200 is superior in every way possible. I would seriously check out an 04 300exc :thumb:

Mar 3, 2004
i read the review, but lets face it, a 300EXC's weight vs a 200/250.. and it is "porky" :cool: now im all sorts of twisted up over what bike i want. i guess to many choices is better then too few :think:

also alot of people raggin' on the KTM's linkless suspension has me thinking twice too.. i mean, im pretty light so i should be able to get away with most bikes not needing suspension work. im looking at the honda CRF450 now, with the KTM 200SX in the back of my mind. by the time i get this all figured out, the new models will be released. well.. everyone needs a hobby, mine is thinking about which bike to get instead of actually riding one. apparently its a year round hobby too :thumb:

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
Porky!! that CFR450 is PORKY! :| Go look at the wieghts buddy. The 250exc is 105.2 Kg
and the 300 is 105.5 Kg. Also the 200 is only 102.5kg. The CRF450 is 233 lbs dry :moon: .
try again.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Yeah, the 250 and 300 lost 8-9lbs this year for 04 and are real close to the 200 in terms of weight. The 450 feels light also until you have to pick it up. I actually prefer the mid bore four strokes over everything except for maybe a 200, which would only get the nod in the really tight stuff.

That said the 300 is sweet, but still too fast for real tight eastern-style woods (it makes almost as much hp as the 525-yup its a pooch alrighty).

The weight comment has me wondering if somebody is fishing...

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
"The weight comment has me wondering if somebody is fishing..."
I wondered about that right from the very beginning.. Why do I get involved in these pointless debates?

Mar 3, 2004
hey now, dont get mad. i was reffering to the 200SX and a 250 MX'r (which is what i ride now), you seem to be reffering to the EXC models. the 300EXC is 231lbs, as weighed by dirt rider.. and compared to a scant weight of a 200SX.. that is porky ("heavy" is all relative). The four stroke on the other hand i expect to be heavier, but i think wouldnt feel it as much due to its power delivery (as that was the case with my friends 250F and my dads 400EXC)

oh, and as for not getting in "pointless debates" i think youd be looking in the wrong forum overall... the "what bike do i get" forum is all about compare and contrasting bikes.. no need to get your feathers ruffled guys...

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
I don't know why Im still posting, but I bet that 300 weighs less than your kx :laugh:

Mar 3, 2004
ill bet your right too. i think my KX weighs 230lbs, which coupled with HOW it makes its power is exactly why i want to get rid of it. it runs me ragged with roots and rocks or nasty rutted turns. i have basically decided on a CRF450, because i think it can do everything well, its light (relatively) and the suspension is good for my weight and adjustable. I wasnt trying to be snotty or anything when i made any comments, i apreciate your posts guys, dont get me wrong. i just take a really long time to make a decision before my poor college student self drops 6 grand on a bike. different strokes for different folks, so its cool. enjoy what ya ride, and thanks again for your opinions. :thumb:

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
it runs me ragged with roots and rocks or nasty rutted turns

Any MX'er will do that--most definitely a CRF450. I suggest you have your current KX motor and suspention modded to fit your exact taste. The benefits will far outweigh any minor tech changes on any bike made in the 5 years since your bike was new. I ride a 94 2-stroke that's totally customized for me. I have not ridden a (stock) 2000+ model year bike that has worked better. Anyone close to my weight who rides woods like I do usually agrees. The cost savings with this are huge as well!

WER Suspention revalve = $300
Eric Gorr port work = $150
Flywheel Weight = $90
Scotts steering stabilizer = $400

IMO, these are 4 things ANY bike out of the showroom needs(for woods)!

Top Bottom