Husky TE 410 / 400 - Anyone ridden one ?

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Husky TE 410 / 400 - Anyone ridden one ? Either a 2000 or 2001 ?

Bliz

Dec 25, 1999
I've owned a 2001 since Feb. Out of the 25 dirt bikes I've owned this is one of the best. Excellent engine, suspension, quality. Also the price not including taxes was $5549. Only problem I've had was dirt getting in the choke plunger, cleaned it and have had no further trouble. I've ridden the Husky and a 2001 KTM 400exc back to back. The Husky is a little heavier feeling in the front end, Husky engine is stronger, more torque, suspension was plusher than the KTM, but this may be due to my friends setup on the KTM. Only things I've changed are to lower gearing 2 teeth on rear, put a heat protective wrap around the front left radiator hose, drill holes in skid plate to let mud out,bark busters and I installed the lighting kit. There are a lot of changes between the 2000 and 2001, I'd stick with the 2001. Excellent bike.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Thanks bliz ... sounds pretty cool - could you compare it for me to an XR 400 ?

Bliz

Dec 25, 1999
I had a 96 xr 400 before the Husky. I liked the XR pretty well except for the suspension. Husky suspension is much plusher without bottoming. Husky is more stable at speeds and will almost turn as quick as the XR. Xr engine has a little more low end but is not as strong as the Husky from the mid-range on up. Husky is a little longer but also narrower. Husky vibrates more and is harder to start when cold, but easier to start when hot than the XR. Husky is higher quality in the way it's made and with the stock equipment you get. Husky took about 60 miles of break in , engine then started to run stronger and bike became easy to start. It looks like we may be riding in two different worlds, you in L.A. area and me in the tight woods and mud in Ohio, so kind of take this into account. Overall I am very happy I purchased the Husky.

cjKTM

Nov 28, 1999
A buddy has one and he is getting ready to make a dual sport out of it. It won't start half the time. Comparing it to the 400 KTM is ridiculous. I think my 250F is faster and the KTM will bury it. The thing has to weigh 40 lb. more than the KTM and it doesn't turn very well. It does have nice low end power but signs off early. Maybe a different pipe would help. It is very quiet which I wish my Yamaha was. All in all it is a nice, well finished trail bike but it is just too heavy and hard to start. The guy is a mechanic and he still can't figure out how to make it start consistantly. I would wait for the 2002.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
"Comparing it to the 400 KTM is ridiculous"

Keep in mind Merriman won every day of the last isde outright on a 01 te400. If you look at the euro race results, you'll see husky often does as well as ktm in every class.

But, I would also wait for the 02 model - electric start, dohc, and apparently the lightest in it's class.

Bliz

Dec 25, 1999
According to the weights posted by Cycle World and Dirt Bike Magazines on the Husky 570 there's about 13 to 15 lbs. difference. I had both the Husky and Ktm 400 to ride to switch off on to make my comparison, did you? Also do you own a Husky 400 and have ridden one for 5 months like I have so you can judge the bike? As for the starting the bike it is difficult to start when cold but after warmed up it's 1 to 3 kicks. I also doubt if Stephan Merriman would have won the World Enduro title ,on a lightly modified Husky 400 ,if this bike was not a fairly decent bike. If you want a non-biased test on this bike go to www.husky.com.au/ click on tests and read what a couple of Austrailian magazines say about it.

cjKTM

Nov 28, 1999
I really didn't mean to be so negative on the bike, but it needs some work to make it competetive with the KTM. And yes, I did ride it, and no I didn't buy one because I felt that it would be more difficult to race without a good bit of work and then it is just too heavy. It looks like the 2002 should be pretty good from the info I've seen. If you go to many enduros, you will see very few. I believe the only one at the Ohio 2-day qualifier was in our group. I would do some more research before stating that Merrimans bike was nearly stock. Although it probably wasn't that much lighter than stock, but as was reported, the event favored the bigger 4-strokes in the special tests due to the high speeds...

Bliz

Dec 25, 1999
In answer to the weight, in the June 2001 issue of Cycle World they compared the TC 570 to the Ktm 520SX. These are the same chassis as the 400's except the SX does not have electric start. TC was 251 lbs. and the SX was 239 , 12 lbs. difference. The reason you see so few Husky's at races is because of their poor past distribution problems and importer problems. People still don't trust Cagiva after the way they treated their customers and dealers back in the late 80's when Cagiva purchased Husky. Another weight comparison Cycle World May 2000, TE 610 259 lbs. Ktm 520 exc 256 lbs. I've owned 3 Ktm's , excellent bikes, I looked at a 400 ktm before buying the Husky and could not justify the $6800 ktm price vs the $5549 Husky. Also did not want to mess with the 2 oil filters and 2 screens on the ktm oil changes.

Bliz

Dec 25, 1999
In answer to the weight, in the June 2001 issue of Cycle World they compared the TC 570 to the Ktm 520SX. These are the same chassis as the 400's except the SX does not have electric start. TC was 251 lbs. and the SX was 239 , 12 lbs. difference. The reason you see so few Husky's at races is because of their poor past distribution problems and importer problems. People still don't trust Cagiva after the way they treated their customers and dealers back in the late 80's when Cagiva purchased Husky. Another weight comparison Cycle World May 2000, TE 610 259 lbs. Ktm 520 exc 256 lbs. I've owned 3 Ktm's , excellent bikes, I looked at a 400 ktm before buying the Husky and could not justify the $6800 ktm price vs the $5549 Husky. These were out the door prices quoted by two different dealers. Also did not want to mess with the 2 oil filters and 2 screens on the ktm oil changes.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Excellent info fellas - I was interested in the 2002 but wanted a general idea of what the bike was all about. The 2002 is claimed 238 lbs. dry with the e-start. I've heard the long wheelbase makes the bike very stable and that it will eat rocks for lunch. The 2002 will have a steeper rake so the turning should be improved. 238 lbs. is about what my XR 250R weighs dry so the extra juice with the same weight should be nice. The price also seems attractive when compared to the KTM 400.

Does anyone know if the 2002 will also have kickstart as well as e-start ?

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Pretty sure it will. Not sure if it will be on the left or right though.

Don't expect to see the 02 model before next year.

MikeJ

Apr 15, 2000
I talked with a Husky dealer at the Little Polecat enduro yesterday. He does not know when they will be released, but they are coming out with a complete line of re-designed four strokes. Two 250s, one moto, one enduro. One 400 enduro. Two 450s, one moto, one enduro. All will have electric start. The 570 will be unchanged. I think I'll put a deposit on a 450 enduro.

Mike

Top Bottom