Husky WR 360 Starting and Clutch Problems

Boricua

May 18, 2001
:think
Since I bought my bike a few months ago (brand new year 2000) I can't get the trick to start it with just a few kicks. Seems that the spark plugs don't last a complete ride. I've tried different ratios of fuel mix, verify the air intake and so on and it seems very hard to find the problem. With the clutch is that as soon as the bike warms up the clutch wont work as it is supposed to. I have to be adjusting the cable while riding. Change the oil and it worked a little bit better. I'll appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Boricua

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
Sounds like the bike was not set up properly. Have you compared your current carb settings with those listed in the owners manual? Husky use to have excellent owner manuals that listed most common problems.

Might want to stop by the shop again and have them inspect the clutch system.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
Most husky's are jstted way rich. Rejet. It's a pain in the butt. You'll be happier. What kind of oil are you using? I like spectro 85wt.

Boricua

May 18, 2001
Oil Brand

I'm using Motul 800 Racing 2T 100% Synthetic. If it is of any help, when the dealer sold me the bike, they change the exhaust pipe with a FMF "Fatty" but the left the Muffler that came with the bike. I never had the chance to test the Bike with the pipe that comes with it as an stock bike. Can anyone of you tell me if they should left the expansion pipe that comes with the bike and if that can be part of the bike's starting problem?

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I have heard a few people complain about the stock mufflers being very restrictive on KTM and Husky enduro bike. You might want to get the matching FMF Turbine Core II w/spark arrestor. It should make the bike crisper, but I don't think it will help with the fouling plugs.

My Husky CR125 when I got it was spoogging terrible and fouling plugs like mad. I got it used and it has a Pro-Ciruit pipe and 304 shorty silencer. I tried differenct oil ratios from 32:1 to 50:1 but finally settled on 40:1 The shop manuall says use 32:1 for break-in and no less than 50:1 after that. I dropped the needle a clip position and switched from blended synthetic to full synthetic and went to one plug hotter (from B9ES to B8ES) It stopped spoogging but still fouled plugs a lot. I then went one main jet leaner and it stopped fouling. It still didn't seem right though, bogging down low, so I went one size leaner on the pilot jet and readjusted the air screw and now the bikes runs great. Almost like a differnet bike. I'm not getting any pingging so I don't think I'm too lean.

What is funny is that my son's Yamaha 85 still spooges a little after re jetting and adjusting, but it doesn't seem to be fouling plugs.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
You can use the stock sil. Like HiG4 said Replace it when you can. I have a fmf pipe, t/c 2 sil v-force reeds on mine. When I first got the bike it would foul a plug every 7 mi. Do like HiG4 said. Change your plug to one hotter and start rejetting. I run 44:1 in my 99 wr.

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
When I had my 94 360 the hot set up was the FMF pipe and silencer and a Kehin carb. The original pipe is twice as heavy as the FMF because it's a double walled pipe. If you work with the Mikuni you will be alright. Sounds like a plug/jetting type problem. The replacement silencer weights a lot less also.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Your Oil is also a slight problem. motul 800 synthetic is prone to fouling on enduro bikes that are fairly low revving. You are running the correct pipe for the bike. The silencer is OK, however there are others that produce better power. I run a BR7EV plug (NGK brand), this helps with fouling. Castrol TTS 100 percent synthetic oil is fairly foul resistant. I have had good luck with Redline Racing 100 percent synthetic also. Try keeping the oil ratio around 40 to 1. In addition make sure that the idle screw and pilot jet are on just a little on the lean side. This will make a HUGE difference in plug fouling.

As for the clutch, I have had to adjust the clutch internally to reduce the drag when hot. I use Bl Ray gear saver oil, however ATF and Mobil 1 synthetic works well also. I also installed a clutch lever/perch assy that has more cable travel. (it pulls the cable farther during clutch actuation.) This also helped the clutch out.

E-mail me if you have any questions.

cujet@aol.com

Chris

Boricua

May 18, 2001
Thanks to all of you who helped me

:D
Thanks a lot for the advice that you guys gave me. I'm pretty sure that after I play around with the settings that you guys told me about I will be able to really have fun with my bike the way I want it. I was using a 50:1 ratio and I will change it to a little more rich of a mixture 45:1 or 40:1. My spark plug is 8 so I will change it to 7 and Since I'm not an expert I'll need to take the bike to a shop, that way they can do the right adjustments in the carb and air intake. And finally I will need to change the silencer that match with the pipe that I have. For the clutch, a mechanic told me that it might need a cable with a little bit of more travel. Anyway, I'll let you now as soon as I do the changes.
And again. Thanks a lot to you all.
Boricua

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I am not going anywhere this weekend:( , I have to work. As I work in aviation, I work all hours. In addition, there is no way I could race. I have been having a hard time with with my bum heart recently. Keeps me slow.

Chris

OZ_dirtrider

Jul 2, 2001
Get to TDC, one small click down and give her a bootful, starts first shot. I've never played with my jetting even with the stock pipes.

J

01 TE400
00 WR360
92 KDX250

OZ_dirtrider

Jul 2, 2001
"What you mean by TDC ?"

At the top of it's compression stroke or when you feel the kick lever at it's hardest, just softly kick one click down, let it come back and kick it. Never fails lol, unless you've flooded it in which you find a hill and bump start it

;)
J

Boricua

May 18, 2001
Thanks

:) Thanks:
It did help. Now I need to find the right gas ratio and see what happened after I ride for 30 or 40 miles. If it keeps doing it I will have to take it to the shop and have them set it right. :think

Top Bottom