*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Anyone have a newer one? How's the motor, all top, mid? Luggability? How does it compare to a KTM 125EXC? Hows the suspension?

Thanks...

robj

Oct 31, 2000
William, I recently bought an 01 model. I would describe the motor as fierce but with great bottom end. I think the extra snap is down to the aftermarket Doma pipe. It's very luggable and doesn't bog at low revs. You can almost stop the bike dead in first gear and pull away cleanly - good for woods stuff and hills with obstacles. The midrange and top are on a par with my 98 YZ125. The YZ never had the bottom end though. I had a go on a 99 exc125 and the power was a fair bit softer, but it was in stock form. Suspension on the WR is quality stuff but needs a bit of work to get it supple and responsive. (45 shiver zokes and Sachs shock) I haven't spent enough hours on mine to get it fully broken in yet. But I think I'm going to have to get some work done to get it right. Build quality is great and it's a very easy bike to work on. You can get the seat, tank/shrouds off in about 30 seconds (one bolt). Excel rims and great looking sandcast tubular Husky hubs, brembo brakes, grease nipples on the linkage... Plus points - engine , detailing and looks. Minus points - suspension (stock form), rubber mounted bar clamps, tall seat height.
Hope this helps

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
robj
What modifications have to done to the Husky to "get it right"? I rode a WR125 (stock) the other day back-to-back with my TM125E. The husky was nice (would lug), but felt very down on power compaired to the TM from ~9,000 RPM on (maybe 8 hp?). Also the suspension wasn't overly responsive. Did you purchase the Shiver forks and do they work better than stock? Have you tried the CH Racing pipe?

robj

Oct 31, 2000
Hi - a back to back with a TM is always going to be hard on any bike - those bikes have always been really impressive. If the WR was completely stock it would still have had the power crippling restrictor washer in place - spot welded inside the opening of the exhaust. I only rode the bike once before buying a Doma pipe and stinger type silencer. It's like a completely different bike - good bottom end and smooth transition through to a lively top end hit. I haven't tried out other exhausts - Doma's seem pretty popular over here at the moment. The shiver forks are just the latest reincarnation of Marzocchis 45 upside downers and come as standard on the bike. The suspension on mine still isn't too responsive back or front. After some advice from the local suspension folk I'm going to try softer springs on the front and a straight rate spring on the shock. The rebound action on the Sachs shock is way too stiff and needs to be almost fully open to get it working properly. On full rebound damping the back end takes about 5 or 6 seconds to return! I can't wait to get it sorted and get more riding time done. (Petteri Silvan is leading the 125 class in the World Enduro championship on a Husky so I guess these bikes can go pretty well...)

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
On the US Husky's, the Shiver fork is a $1700 aftermarket option (hard anodized) from Husky Products. The CH Racing pipe is a $350 option as well.

Top Bottom