wazzafrom oz

May 15, 2001
:( A mate of mine has a 1996 wr360 that is causing him grief. Ever since he bought the bike, the bottom end has been poor to say the least. Recently he has checked the power valve and found it is opening at 4 grand instead of 6000. Husky in Australia just want to sell him a new unit rather than give suggestions on adjustment etc. Husky did mention an upgrade, machine 0.9mm off the bottom of the barrel to lower the exhaust port. Has anyone heard or done this modification.
It is also a bitch to start, especially when cold.
What fork oil weights and levels are people using. Riding weight 85 kg. Fork action is very harsh at the beginning of the stroke. Please help!:( Cheers Wazza

OurMan Flint

Aug 28, 2001
WELL WELL ANOTHER 360 MAN !!

I bought a 94 360CR in 95 which had been used only a few times.
The owners father is an X-British MX champion who now owns a tunning business. Naturally he had modified the bike, but only the tiniest bit, he said it really did not need much doing.
Man, this bike has SO much torque down low that it's dangerous. I was half way up a steep hill (with a new tyre on the back), I slowed to walking pace as I had missed a gear, put it in first and gently eased on some throttle. If this had been any other bike it would either have stalled or needed clutch slipping.
It just hooked up and the front started to rise, even with me standing and leaning on the bars, it just kept coming up and I had to bail right off the back.

It sound as though you buddies bike needs seeing to. I will try to contact the previous owner, I know for a fact that he used the thinnest base gasket (just watch that squish band though). And I'm pretty sure that he machined the base.

Guaryzzzpode

Feb 25, 2000
Did you clean up the powervalves? There are two power valves, although not independent, and check that the stops (allen bolts that can be regulated from the outside) let the powervalves close as much as you can without hitting the rings.

Sorry I can't help you on the RPM activatinon, but I have not been in there yet.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Husky 360's have a spring loaded centrifugal actuator for the powervalve system. It may be that the spring is weak. In addition if he wants the powervalve to open later he can install a 250 spring in the unit.

Do not machine the base of the cylinder, as the port timing is too mild in stock form. You will not be able to pull 6th gear with lowered port timing. You can install thinner base gaskets, as they are available.

In addition the powervalve link is adjustable at the top. there is an allen set screw that is located on the shaft coming out of the cylinder.

I run the powervalve linkage exposed so I can maintain it regularly.

E-mail me if you need more info. cujet@aol.com

Chris

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Also, if you preload the powervalve by adjusting the linkage it will open even sooner and may not open fully. I played around with various external springs to delay the opening. By doing this I would end up with a big flat spot in the torque curve.

Chris

Top Bottom