Dogger

Dec 31, 2001
There is a Husqvarna CR 250 -83 for sale, which I'm considering to buy to race in vintage class. If anybody has more information about this bike model, please make a comment. I would be interested, if there are some typical fault areas to look at.

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
I don't know of any known problems with that bike, but make sure it's legal in the class you want to run. I've had good luck with my Huskys. I've known a few guys who have bought bikes and they were'nt legal in the class that they wanted to run. That bike is usually in the EVO, Grand-Prix, Ultima or Bomber class depending on local terminology. 'Vintage' is usally 74 and earlier. :think:

ryanfoley

Sep 17, 2002
I think i got the offroad model, 1983 xc 250 or something like that, its a great bike, runs really strong, only problem and has been since my friend gave it to me is that countershaft bearing seal busted and my oil leaks out slowly, i love it tho.
Ryan

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
ryanfoley, that's a pretty easy fix. Just take off the clip for the sprocket, screws that hold that plate on and get a new seal. Make sure you put the sprocket back on the right way, if you flip it around, with flat side in, it will leak again. Or that could be the problem now. :whiner:

ryanfoley

Sep 17, 2002
Last time i took that area apart i dont remember a plate. A while ago i called a shop up on that and they told me that i would have to split the cases and put in a new bearing!

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
OT should be corrrect. I take it the "shop" you called was not a husky shop otherwise they may have been correct in their over the telephone comment. Go online and look into the husky club. If you have any real questions on your bike call some of the husky shops listed in the rear ads section of your dirt bike magazines that specialize in older huskys. The 83 white frame has an improved frame over the 82 silver frame and older bikes. Longer rear shocks and I think a different rake in 83 or 84. They still don't turn that sharp but once you learn how to turn quick with a lilttle rear brake action you will be fine.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Wasn't "83 the year of the SEM (?) ignition? I seem to recall many people had problems with that ignition.

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
The 1983 Model year should be the red colored Motoplat's and not the black SEM's. Now if you really want to get trick, I've always updated my Husky's and Maico that were originally Motoplat ignitions to the hotter spark PVL ignitions. Sometimes it's hard to find older WORKING ignition parts. They seem to show up now and then but never when you really need them. That's another reason I went with the ignition update. They can seem pricey, but they are worth it. The hotter spark should make it easier to start and run better. Making it easer to start, means it ususally starts quicker when stalled out such is in the middle of a race due to operator error. Or when you go riding with all your buddies and after everyone has unloaded their new bikes and your old vintage bike is the only one that starts on the first or second kick. That seems to impress them.... especially after they just spend five or six thousand dollars on a new bike and have trouble starting it.

CanAm1

May 16, 2002
As for the Motoplat there is www.vitagedirtbike.com they have rebuild kits for motoplat /femsa ignitions.I ran a 1983 XC 250 for 3 years with no major problems other than a shock and fork rebuild.www.huskyclub.com is a wealth of information.I sold all my aircooled stuff to another member who has in turnned sold it to another member keeeping the stuff racing.

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
Thanks, but my garage is full. If I buy another bike right now I'll be the next thing occupying the garage. Try listing it on ebay or on a local vintage race bike classified section and see if you get any bites.

Top Bottom