dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Husky CR250 anyone riding them Plese check it

I need some input. My intention was to sell the TE570 and pay bills, but life without a bike is just not an option. So I was considering another KTM, past bikes were a 97 360mxc and a 2000 300mxc. I liked the 300 most, but to gear it for the low nasties cost me on the top-end. This time I was thinking a EXC 250 or 300, but with the Husky not moving my next option is to get a 2001 Husky CR250 that is available, swap what I can from the TE570 and build my own off-road race machine. In addition to my front-end (forks, triples, bars, wheel), rear wheel, shock (if it will fit) and anything else; I'd need at least a Steahly 10oz flywheel weight, and a 3.0 or so gal. tank if I can find one and spark arrestor.

Here's the main question to the 2-stroke Husky riders out there. How is the 2001 CR250 on power and overall woods/off-road use? I'd assume with the mods it would be like the mxc. Has anyone ever converted a CR250 and how did it turnout.

Right now I can get the CR250 for a good price and by swapping my off-road parts and suspension from the 570 it should make for a suitable race bike.

I'd appreciate any input on this.

If it works, I'll put all of the CR stuff on the 570 and then sell it even cheaper.

Thanks again for the help.

Ed
Fallbrook CA
D37

Last edited by a moderator:

snullia

Oct 26, 2001
Hi dingoe

I’m riding a cr 250 (’00). Off-road and trail only, no motocross. Please understand I do not compete, only ride for fun. A hardcore racer may have a different view.

Must say I’m very impressed with the handling of the bike. Nimble bike yet not nervous. Brakes are also excellent. I found the handlebars to low for me, but that can be said for every bike I have had in the last few years, except for a EXC 520. Easy fix, longer bolts and some spacers.

The stock suspension was a bit to harsh for off road as expected for a mx suspension, so I had it revalved. Not a problem for you of course, if you can swap out the suspension.

The power output of the engine is excellent. Even with the stock flywheel I almost never stall the bike. Power from low rpm is good and there is no aggressive hit in the power band, very smooth.

The gearbox is close ratio, of course, so the top speed is not that high. I have gone one up on the counter shaft sprocket, and would not add another since the first gear got a bit high. I do not really like how rough the gearbox shifts. This is *NOT* a smooth shifting bike. This is however not a problem for me anymore as I have adjusted.

Reliability has so far been excellent.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Thanks for the info guys, man that $2500.00 sounds low. I know one guys who parted his out to a rider in the UK for more than that and he kept the wheels. It's tough to think about loosing so much. I did find out that the shock from my TE will not work on the CR, but the guy selling it had RG3 do the suspension and he has a stock and MX/Sx type spring. I was also told by a race in NY that the bike lacks the ability of the WR, but that is to be expected unless you boost the bottom end. Pipe and flywheel weight with a smaller front sprocket should do. But overall, I bummed about that price though. I just may stay a 4-stroke rider for a bit longer.

Thanks guys and keep the rubber side down.

Ed

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
The husky crs are achtually similar to a fast gasgas enduro great lowend with a nice smooth hit. Stall proof very unusual for an mx bike. I thought the mx bike i saw was a converted enduro,,,,it was defo the cr though. Seemd a great bike and quiet enough too.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Blanc, Thanks for the reply. Looks like I will have a chance to test the 2001 250CR this weekend at one of our desert events. I'm not racing due to the fact my bike is for sale, but it will give me a chance to see if the Husky works well on the tight steep rocky trails and the wide open whooped out desert stuff. The guy selling it has all kinds of extras that really make to deal sound good, plus he is not a Husky fan and proceeded to get a YZ right after he bought it, so it's in new like condition an 8.5 out of 10. Not too bad and the price is low, he wants to move it because he got the YZ.

thanks and I'll give it a test ride, can't go wrong with a free ride for a day.

thanks

Ed

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
It should turn out to be a great bike. I really miss my 360, turned well, after revalve it was well suspended and power delivery was fantastic.

My only concern is desert riding a 250... great in the tight stuff but slow @ speed? Tell me what you think after the ride.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
blanc, What kind of final drive 14x48 or so. I was looking at having 13x50 and 14x50 as my options.

looked into changing 4th and 5th, but that would cost approx. $400.00 US in parts.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
arjay, Thanks for the reply. If all goes well I'll ride it Saturday. In the high desert trails of California. We have a National H&H out in the dez and the owner said he'd meet me there. It rained like mad up north and I hope it's not too messy. I need to get a true feel of the bikes wide open speed and ability to run the desert whoops and such. Called Ferracci this morning and they are out of the 3.1 gal IMS fuel cells, Called IMS and they stopped production on the unit. Looks like I'll get a WR tank if I buy the bike and make due. Most races only have 32-45 mile loops anyway and time to re-fuel. I'll call Halls too, they provided info on the wr 4tth and 5th gear change on the bike, but parts are pricey. I'll try a 47 or 48 rear sprocket for 50.00 before spending 400.00 U.S. on gears. Being I don't have the 400.00 U.S.

Thanks
Ed

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
I'll check in the owners manual tonight but I thought the gearbox on the WR was the same as the CR250. Same ratios. Maybe the the higher gears on the WR360's six speeder would go in. I'll try and find some reference.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Well no ride on the CR250 yet. The guy was at the National this weekend, but he left the Husky at home. Said He'll bring it to the next race this weekend, but only time will tell.

I'll post if I get to ride it.

Ed

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
dingoe, Maybe I misread, but did you mention why you were not happy with your TE570? I've ridden Huskies forever, but they've always been two strokes. While riding in the California desserts I geared 15/48, but had a big bore 436 with six speed. When I moved to Hawaii I rode a 98'WR250, and had to gear it down 12/52, also a six speed. In six speeds the gears are different than five speeds - lower first, and of course extra gear on top. So, in the dessert I was able to gear really high because the first gear was so low to begin with. In Hawaii, very tight and nasty/slick terrain, gearing low gave me a first gear that would almost never stall - although I did have a healthy flywheel weight.

I would say no on the two stroke - and spend a little time and effort on your TE570. By the time I sold my 98'Husky I had invested well over ten thousand dollars - but it was perfect, and that was spent over four years. You've got a great bike, that is probably one of the top three bikes made for the dessert - I'm thinking Honda 650 and KTM-4s. Anyway, just my two cents.

ToddHawaii
TrailTramp

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Todd, I was selling it to help pay on the bikes that I got for our kids. I thought I could ride my son's bike from time to time and be content. That's not reality, so I looked at selling it and putting some of the money towards their bikes and using the rest to get a 2-stroke. 2-strokes are cheap out here in CA due to all the sticker rules and the fact that the 4-strokes are the hot new thing. Anyway, I found a deal on a 2001 CR250 and was thinking of swapping out my off-road stuff from the TE and the selling the TE for less. But still having some money to pay on the kids bikes. I was looking at having just over 2k in the cr250 with the WR tank and my wheels, suspension, and 10oz flywheel weight if needed. Not too bad for a somewhat new bike. The owner never really got the feel of the Husky and didn't ride it much at all.

Anyway, that's why the TE570 is going. It is a very good bike and fits me well, but I like the rocky trails and some of the open trails in the USFS lands around here and the 570 gets real big real fast when you twist the wrist. I feel that my KTM300 worked better for the trail stuff and that's where my focus is now. So I'll go for the CR250 and alter it, if the bike feels right or I'll get an older EXC250 2000-2002.

ed

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Ed - I got a bit of trailtime yesterday (sand whoops) on an '02 CR250 after jumping off my WR. The motor felt very similar to the WR. Bottom end was almost the same despite the MX ignition/smaller flywheel. The bike felt firm but very stable.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
arjay, Thanks for that info. Sounds like the bike will pull well in the whoops and trails, maybe a 8oz weight would be best. I do like the stability of the Husqvarna and I'm glad to hear that the CR has it. Now I just need to get that guy to bring the bike out for me to test ride. If all goes well, I'll get to see it at this weekends race.

Thanks Ed

Top Bottom