dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
I'm riding a 2002 TE570, and I need to know the trick to get this bike to fire on one kick. On regular play rides, I can get the bike to fire after bump starting or on the 3-6 kick or so. It's just that in desert racing you've got to get your bike up one one kick or so. I just have not figure out any method that is consistent. Sometimes after riding for awhile it will start on one kick, but that's not the norm. Sometimes it takes a twist or two of the gas first and at other times that just floods it all together. I guess it all depends on riding area too, like elevation, heat factor, etc.

Anyway, if anyone has a method they us, I'd like in on it.

Thanks for any help. I just don't look forward to sitting dead on the start line in this years events, and it's always a bear to bump start on flat desert sand.

Thanks Ed

FlyingBob

Jan 6, 2002
On my 2001 TE400, which seemed impossible to start consistently, and after much consultation, I did the following:

set valves on the loose side
pilot jet & atomizer (in the same hole on a Dellorto) a touch lean
idle speed screw for a higher idle
never touch the throttle when starting, no pre kick twisting!

The bike now starts quite often on the first or second kick when cold, no start circuit opened either.
When hot and I stall it, if it doesn't start by the third kick, pull in the compression release, kick it through 8 - 10 times, it will start first kick!

It's almost automatic now. I'm still extremely surprised since I swore I'd throw this impossible starting SOB into the next ........, really one HS the only way I could get it to start was to roll down a hill.

I also moved my kickstart lever one tooth/spline forward to get it to engage the gear sooner. Seems to get a better spin on it!

Try the idle up and kickstart position first, you might be surprised.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
FlyingBob, Thanks for the reply. I too have thought about taking the shotgun to my new Husky a time or two, but when it's running it's better than any bike I have ever owned. Fits me better than my KTM's did. I'll give your method a go and maybe I'll get off the line this weekend at my desert race.

Thanks again

ed

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
FlyingBob, Just wanted to let you know that moving the kickstarter up a notch was the trick. My carb is the new Mikuini-Tm and I'm limited on adjustments, but the kick did it all. It's higher up now and I'll have to grind off a small edge so it will tuck under the tank edge, but it will work fine. Once it was hot, I could get it to fire on one or two kicks.

Thanks for all the help.

Ed

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom